The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Wheel lock key broke, broken, lost, etc. [Merged 8-6] stud nut lug key

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAHA SUCKER!!

No just kidding, the same shit just happened to me on my drivers side wheel. Same lugs and everything.

Apparently you are only suppose to tighten them to about 30-40 lbs instead of 100 lbs. Who would have thought?

Anyway, I already beat the shit out of my wheel trying to figure out how to do it but I guess welding a bolt would do.

If you don't have access to anything that welds, you can try to drill out the stud.

I work in a tire shop and this is what we do. Take an impact socket that is a little bit biggger and beat it onto the wheel lock, use an air gun to zip it off, voila! Let me know how it goes.

-Josh

TSIMonkey90 said:
I work in a tire shop and this is what we do. Take an impact socket that is a little bit biggger and beat it onto the wheel lock, use an air gun to zip it off, voila! Let me know how it goes.

-Josh

I'll second this approach. Just don't expect to get that nut out of your socket easily....

any one got a trick to take these mitsu lugs off? the ones that are round on the outside and need a key for them? i gotta fix my brake calipers so i can go out the 4th and the dealerships are all closed. thanks

Had to take my front one's off like that once. I hammered a 19mm socket onto one lug, and a 3/4" socket onto the other then twisted them off. I have yet to get the lugs out of the sockets though. LOL! But no loss, doesn't cost much for single sockets. I also replaced the security lugs with regular lugs i bought.

right on thanks for the info. couldnt put it to use because of a lack of a hammer but its nice to know for fututre reference. looks like im driving to the mitsu dealership tomorrow to pick up the key. thanks for the info though

haha well I'm not the only one that has lost it, so now I'm looking for one too. So if anyone has one can I please borrow it?

Kinetic Boost said:
haha well I'm not the only one that has lost it, so now I'm looking for one too. So if anyone has one can I please borrow it?
I found mine. I also replaced all my lugs so you could have it if you want.

i took it to Americas Tire CO and they have special bits they use to extract the lugs. take them 5 minutes and they did mine free, and gave me a set of crappy ones for temp. till i got new ones.

sonce theres hundereds of different patterns, you prolly arent gonna find someone with the exact key. i went to every parts store looking for ones that looked like the pattern, but came up dry.

quiksilver38 said:
dealership $$$
I figure that they could replace it. But if each key is unique than, what........ They have to custom make a lug key for your application? Do they take an impression of the lug and make a key? Did they actually keep data logs of every key fitting and the vehicles they left the dealership with, I guess I am just a little curious how they do it is all........

They force off your old locking lugs (see search) and throw them away. If replaced with lockers, you're presented with a new key, which perhaps this time you won't lose.

I've got a 97 GSX and I put new wheels on it but I used the wheel lock lug nut that was on the car when I bought it. It had the stock wheels on it when I bought it so I'm assuming these wheel locks came stock on these cars. My problem is, I need to change the brake pads and I can't find the damn key for the lug nut. Can I obtain these things from the dealer? Or what happens when something like this happens?

defaced said:
I've got a 97 GSX and I put new wheels on it but I used the wheel lock lug nut that was on the car when I bought it. It had the stock wheels on it when I bought it so I'm assuming these wheel locks came stock on these cars. My problem is, I need to change the brake pads and I can't find the damn key for the lug nut. Can I obtain these things from the dealer? Or what happens when something like this happens?

Did you look in the glove box?

If something like this happens, you might be able to get it from the dealer, some are one of a kind. My lug key acually broke and I had Discount Tire take them off, but they couldn't put them back on again. So, I went to Autozone and got 4 new wheel locks for 10 bucks or so.

I'm almost afraid to ask what Mitsu would charge for wheel locks.

defaced said:

Most rims/tire shops can do it for you, but it will cost you anywhere from $25-$150.

laserspeeddemon said:
Most rims/tire shops can do it for you, but it will cost you anywhere from $25-$150.
Jesus. Well, to answer the guy before, it's not in the glove box because I was trying to sell the car for awhile but now I've decided to keep it and I had the whole thing cleaned out. I just misplaced the wheel lock and now I can't find it and the brake pads and rotors need replaced very bad.

I'll call the dealer and then I'll get a hold of a tire shop and see what they can do. Thanks for the help guys.

:dsm: defaced

If it will cost to much just get an oversized impapact socket take a hammer and drive it on the wheel locks and just throw them away and buy some new ones.

tigmandick said:
If it will cost to much just get an oversized impapact socket take a hammer and drive it on the wheel locks and just throw them away and buy some new ones.

thats what someone i work with does. then he just puts a normal lug nut on

tigmandick said:

That's the way that the tire shops to it. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back