The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What's this hole for? (Valve cover drain hole)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crtalon

Probationary Member
May 18, 2002
Amsterdam, Amsterdam_NY
Hi guys, I have been a silent reader for a very long
time. It is time for me to ask a question.

Background:I am in the process of heli-coiling my head. All the
studs are out, none broke in the head. The problem is that I by
mistake drilled into one of the holes too far. I know that cut into
the wall slightly because I can stick a zip-tie into the hole and it
goes down in all the way(the zip-tie is like 2x the length of the
hole) The hole is on the bottom row, the one in the middle.

I really didn't want to pull the valve cover just to see what is in
back of that wall I destroyed. I want to say that it is a hole for
a valve cover bolt, but who knows. I figured that one of you may
know. Just in case any of you are curious, yes this is my 1st heli-
coil job, yes I now have to step to all 10mm bolts, and yes I am in
the middle of a turbo install(ETE32)

Thanks a million!
Bruce

I'm trying to find a good article about it.. can't find one anywhere grr..

Basically it's not doing any damage. They're usually (all the VC's I've seen) drilled in the spark plug well. Yours is in an odd place... the permanent solution is remove the VC, drill, tap, and put a plug in it.

Ive got a pretty bad problem with oil pooling in the spark plug well on the valve cover. (like near the plugs themselves) I tried replacing the oil cap with a new greddy one thinking the old one was shot. It seemed to help a little but its just as bad now. What else could be causing this?

Thanks...

ok,
if the oil cap didnt fix it,
it has to be the valve cover gasket.
pull out your plug wires, and see if oil is collecting inside the hole, or around the boot of the wire.

i have seen where the valve cover bolts get loose, and oil just seeps out, mine was so loose, i took them out wiht my fingers, i jsut tightened them up, and no more leaks.

Trust me when I say be gentle when you tighten them . The valve cover will crack pretty easy . There is also a round gasket , that fits around where the spark plugs are , that is probably the cause of that .

You should order a new valve cover gasket and the four doughnut gaskets that go around the spark plug wells. Replace them and tourque all of the valve cover bolts to 30 inch/lbs. There is an 80% chance that it is the doughnut gaskets leaking. If you still have leaks, you probably have a crack in your valve cover.

take of the valve cover and check out the inserts between your valve cover and the spark plug wells. maybe they are not aligned right if that doesn't help go buy some new ones.

do you have oil in the spark plug holes? if not then your gaskets are fine.

if you need a new vlave cover, ill sell you my 6bolt engine, i have for a spare.

YES you need the whole thing ;)

j/k

i would be willing to part it out

I had the same problem and it ended up being just one of the dougnut gaskets. It was a very simple and an inexpensive fix

Hey guys - Well today I went out to check up on the spark plugs I had put in a while ago and the spark plugs are fine. BUT on the spark plug closest to the cam gears (the passenger side on the 420a) The entire well was FULL of oil. Like 3/4 full to the top of sitting oil. I drained almost all of it out and took out the spark plug and its soaked too (but not the bottom part since thats sealed airtight). Well I thought I need to check out this leak. So I took off the valve cover - and after checking around I couldn't find any parts of the valve cover gasket that were blown/torn, it pretty much seemed fine to me. I don't know how that oil got there (yea I checked the spark plug well gaskets - which seemed a little wet on the inside parts but they looked new in condition/not torn) So i put it back (yes I reused the gaskets - is this bad? they seemed in PERFECT shape) after cleaning a bunch of stuff out around the contact areas. I remember a while ago - I had taken it to the dealership for recall work and he said there was a possible headgasket leak. I ignored it - but now what should I look for to see if my headgasket is blown? Any other symptoms? There is oil leaking from somewhere i know bc right now my oil level is below the min point I'm gonna go fill it. When I look from underneath the car one side of the oil pan seem SOAKED in oil, and some other parts close to that. Any ideas of where it might be coming from? Thanks guys,
Sid

Pull your timing belt cover and go hunting for the leak. We can't tell you where it's coming from, seeing as we cannot see your car.

Also check your oil cap just to be sure.

I'll try the timing belt cover tomorrow morning thanks - the oil cap? Wouldn't there be oil around it if it was leaking? Its clean.. The valve cover is clean so its below that somewhere. Thanks for the idea!

You'll never find the leak as long as you have "Oil everywhere" - clean it up with Gunk Engine degreaser & then you can get a handle on what;s leaking & where - & put the damn Oil Cap gasket on like we told you to - it's $1!

No matter how good the Valve Cover & spark Plug Gaskets "looked" If the Gaskets are hard & brittle - If the Valve cover wasn't properly Torqued - If the Valve cover was then cracked when it was improperly Torqued - It will leak - Oil just didn't soak thru the Aluminum Valve Cover & 'appear" in the hole...

Best to check Oil levels on a level surface - in the Morning before you crank it - If you have ran the car & it's anywhere in the safe zone leave it alone - On my car that zone is only 1/2 Quart wide - Overfilling is NOT COOL & will cause further leaks - At the very least clean out your PCV Valve with Carb cleaner, ether, Brake Cleaner, etc & make sure your valve Cover vent line is clamped to the Valve cover & not cracked so it's venting your motor properly... Good Luck.

Ok sorry I'll answer all your questions (btw thanks for being this helpful) But I am almost CERTAIN its not the valve cover because I checked all around the valve cover when I opened it and it was dry. The gaskets were great not brittle they were new looking (like new rubber soft and flexible).
One question though - the ONLY way that oil can get into the spark plug well is through the valve cover? Not the headgasket or anything right? (if so I'll be happy valvecover is easier and cheaper to fix).
Yes i checked the PCV valve and it makes that noise that its working (not stuck). So far below is the site with the best pics I could get I just bought some jack stands so tomorrow I'm gonna jack upt he car for real and raelly check whats up underneath her.
What oil cap gasket? There is no oil coming out through the oil cap... I didn't remove any gasket from there should I have replaced it?
Again thanks a lot guys

Site: (the first pics showing the valve cover now the valve cover and the contact area is dry and clean ill keep looking for new leaks)
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/desibabu3450/oil.html

From looking at the pics I think you need to change out the valve cover gasket, and the oil pan gasket.

Buy New Valve cover gasket, when i installed my new one I used a very thing coating of RTV on each side of the new gasket for excellent seal.

I think the oil pan gasket is grey rtv or something, dont remember where i read that, but i think you need a new one.

By any chance did you just change your oil from dino to synthetic or semi-synthetic?

HAHA you nailed it - i went to semi synthetic and thats when all hell broke loose - so =\ but I don't regret the switch - i can feel the improvement otherwise. Since that is the case any other ideas? Thanks,
Sid

The synthetic oils clean the engine ALOT, soon enough on older cars the seals that were caked with oil garb begin to break up and all the imperfections in the old worn gaskets become leaks. (gunked oil breaks up) Thanks to this situation I am now not switching to any synthetic

Replace those gaskets before everything is covered

Ok I'm gonna jack up the car tomorrow morning and clean that shit out all over. Thanks guys I'll keep updating. So you suggest I change the gaskets - even if they are in VERY good shape?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back