The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What's this hole for? (Valve cover drain hole)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crtalon

Probationary Member
May 18, 2002
Amsterdam, Amsterdam_NY
Hi guys, I have been a silent reader for a very long
time. It is time for me to ask a question.

Background:I am in the process of heli-coiling my head. All the
studs are out, none broke in the head. The problem is that I by
mistake drilled into one of the holes too far. I know that cut into
the wall slightly because I can stick a zip-tie into the hole and it
goes down in all the way(the zip-tie is like 2x the length of the
hole) The hole is on the bottom row, the one in the middle.

I really didn't want to pull the valve cover just to see what is in
back of that wall I destroyed. I want to say that it is a hole for
a valve cover bolt, but who knows. I figured that one of you may
know. Just in case any of you are curious, yes this is my 1st heli-
coil job, yes I now have to step to all 10mm bolts, and yes I am in
the middle of a turbo install(ETE32)

Thanks a million!
Bruce

You can JB Weld it if you would like. As long as you don't mind the way it will look. That is more of a temporary fix though. I would just buy a new valve cover from somewhere. I know that AW4G63 has a couple laying around in his garage that are good and are not cracked that he has been polishing to look like chrome. You can probably buy one of his at a pretty good price. If not, then hit up a junk yard and grab one. They crack really really easily when tightening the bolts so be careful when putting a new one on. As for that plug, yes that is a common leaking opoint. Make sure when putting a new valve cover on, that you put some sort of sealant under that plug, like some blue or red silicone gasket maker. That plug should come in the valve cover kit. If it is not, then it is missing. Make sure you open the box before you buy it to make sure that plug is in there along with the 4 gaskets that go around your spark plug wells.

When I turned my booost up like you did I got a leak out of my oil filler cap. The oil ran down into the spark plug well and out that hole you pictured. I put two gaskets on the oil filler cap no more leak.

Originally posted by 44pirate
When I turned my booost up like you did I got a leak out of my oil filler cap. The oil ran down into the spark plug well and out that hole you pictured. I put two gaskets on the oil filler cap no more leak.

I have a new "Type R" blue oil cap, jk, it doesnt say anything on it. So that doesnt leak, the stocker used to tho. I will JB Weld it for now since it is under the spark plug cover so its not noticeable. I planned on gettin a polished or powdercoated VC in the future anyway.

Originally posted by 98TsiAWD

I have a new "Type R" blue oil cap, jk, it doesnt say anything on it. So that doesnt leak, the stocker used to tho. I will JB Weld it for now since it is under the spark plug cover so its not noticeable. I planned on gettin a polished or powdercoated VC in the future anyway.

Send AW4G63 a PM, like I said, he is polishing some valve covers to sell. And he is doing a damn good job on them.

Lately I have been having some oil leak issues, so I was snooping around the timing belt area, and lo and behold, I found a small hole about 2mm in diam. It is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches to the left of the timing cover, right on the front of the valve cover. Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? I never saw this on my 96 TSI. The car is a 90 TSI just for refrence. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Originally posted by eviltalon
I found a small hole about 2mm in diam. It is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches to the left of the timing cover, right on the front of the valve cover. Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? I never saw this on my 96 TSI. The car is a 90 TSI just for refrence. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Say what. ??? The timing cover is plastic and the valve cover is metal... which "front" are you talking about... front of engine or front of car???

To my knowledge there is nothing which can leak oil on either of these pieces except the filler cap and the vent.

I would be suspicious of the valve cover gasket or the camshaft seals. If the "hole" has no threads then it's blind and serves no funcition for this application.

However, the head has several drilled passages which are plugged and "could" leak. You will have to wash the affected area and see if the oil is a source or contaminate.

Cheers,
GTM

Very odd, can you tell if it was drilled or just a break or.....?? Wipe the area off with some Brakleen and give it a dab of silicone seal, let it sit for a day. If it fixes the leak, make it permanent with some J-B Weld.

Say what. ??? The timing cover is plastic and the valve cover is metal... which "front" are you talking about... front of engine or front of car???

The hole is on the front of the valve cover itself. Right above the exhaust manifold. It is about 2 inches to the left of the timing cover. The hole is not a crack. It looks like someone drilled it, but i can't imagine why. The car had been unmodded till i got it. I have to change the gasket today anyway, so I will investigate further. Thanks for the help.

Seriously....Read my post, that is what it is for! Is this the one?>>>
If it is, follow the yellow line, it goes into the valley!

Steve.

Attachments

• v-c drain.jpg
    v-c drain.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 333
Originally posted by fivestardsm
Seriously....Read my post, that is what it is for! Is this the one?>>>
If it is, follow the yellow line, it goes into the valley!
Steve.

Hi Steve:

Well _ain't_ science wonnerful. :)

When did they start with that drain passage??? Sure don't remember seeing it on my son's 1G.

Cheers,
GTM

I've got it on my '91. Does your son's '90 valve cover have the straight breather port or the one that makes a 90 degree bend? Mine is straight and has drain, the earlier covers have the 90 and might be different in other ways.

Steve

i just bought this 98 gst with 52,000 miles and everytime turbo spools up to 12psi...smoke starts flying out of my exhaust for a minute...i did take a look at my turbo...no shaft play..but leaking a little oil from inside of fans..:confused: ......also whats weird is my valve cover has a little hole on the driver side next to the timing..and it leaks oil??...is this normal....i've taken a look my little bro's gsx and his does it too...but, i've heard from some dsmer's here that valve cover is bad??...its this true...??

any help would be great ...
thanks,

my turbo is smoking and some oil is leaking from fan of turbo:confused: and theres a little hole on driver side of valve cover next to timing belt...some people say its not supposed to be there...but i checked by little bros 99 gsx and his has it too??....i don't get it??:confused: :confused: :confused:

The little hole in the VC leads to the spark plug area, remove the 5 10mm bolts holding on the cover, you should see a bunch of oil under it which is not suppose to be there. You either have a cracked VC or the gasket on your oilcap is shot.

The hole is a drain hole for water & such. Its supposed to be there.
Do you mean that there is oil coming from the compressor side of the turbo?

could someone tell me whats that b$@*ch ass Pin Hole on the value cover does,"towards the driverside" ? it's leaking oil onto my Exaust manifold. i was wondering if i could pluged it off. :confused:

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 329
From memory , my '97 has nothing like that on the valve cover (same design for all DSMs), so plug it up! You should only have the excess air (pressure) going out the passenger side of the VC (into a catch can preferably) then to your intake. The head, VC and all motor stuff is pressurized hence the blowing of the oil out such a little hole. Maybe its something just for a 95 and 96??? but my new VC doesn't have it from what i can tell.

That's the drain for the plug well. Speaking of plug well, where did you get that neat looking plug well cover?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back