The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink What's the expected limit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipperXX

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2003
Royston, Georgia
In general what's the limit for a MHI Evo III 16G on 93 octane pump gas?

As it sits, this is where I'm at. 22.5psi boost, 12* timing, 10.8:1 A/F ratio good and heat soaked from a half hour of driving and a few pulls.

Mods:Stock Block, Shaved head, OEM composite HG, ARP Head Studs, Evo III 16g, Evo III exhaust manifold, Tubular o2 housing, Tial 38mm MVS WG w/atmospheric dump w/1bar spring, 2G MAF, 3" Down pipe, custom 3 1/4" aluminum exhaust, short route IC piping, ECMLink V3, Walbro 255lph HP Re-wired, Fuel Lab FPR, EGR block off plate, NGK BR7ES plugs, Koyo radiator. 195* Thermostat, 750cc FIC injectors, Dead Time 330us, Global -39.1, VRSF FMIC, Dejon 2g intake.

Attachments

• log.2017.08.03-11.elg
    17.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I'm pretty much maxing out my e316g also. Running e54 and logging about 41-42lb/min airflow on a cold night. Timing is conservative at mids and at 26 psi dropping to 24ish.

e54 isn't really relevant, shit might as well be 110 octane LOL. I'm trying to determine if what I'm seeing is "normal" / to be expected on 93octane pump gas. Or if I'm having to pull an unusual amount of ignition timing or run richer than most to keep from knocking. I have suddenly ran into more blow by. Before there was no indication of excessive blow by, now all of a sudden i'm geting some out the dipstick, even though it's not popping out i'm finding small amounts sprayed on the underside of the hood... :/ The valve cover vent is attached to the intake as it should be to draw out crank case pressure, but clearly it's no longer enough. So at some point a Calan catch can and larger vent is going to be in order.

In terms of horsepower what sort of numbers are you guys getting? RipperXX your build sounds quite nice and straight-forward; my plan is to source most of those parts in the near future and aim for 300 at the wheels. Not sure if possible though with the 16G? Sorry I'm still a newb at power-making :coy:

You should be able to advance more timing and lean out just a bit more on fuel. Your running pretty safe. I pulled off around 11:5 AFR with 17* degrees with no knock on 91 octane, then went to e85 and went 12:4 AFR with 19/20 degrees with no knock. I want to go more but I'm a high mileage long block.

Depends on what dyno you go to :) Sorry if I missed it up there but what are you using for boost control?

292whp/ 264wtq on STMs heartbreaker landed me with an equivalent of 335whp/303wtq at EFI logics or 350whp/316wtq on Innovative. The guys around here have a lot of free time and money and have done a few "same day" dyno pulls and figured out the rough percentages.

I am running cams, but other then that our mod list isn't that far apart ripper.

Here's the dyno runs. Running about 26psi flowing 40lbs/min.

Attachments

• dyno runs.elg
    159.5 KB · Views: 40
Just noticed the post about the blowby - Yeah I actually had to turn my 68hta down from 26 to around 22 for a while until I got a catch can because of it, the higher you go in boost the more blow by you're going to create, put a gamble garage catch can on and all is well with the world, I wanted a calan but the wait time was pretty long. I still want one, but that's down the road now.

I TIG weld for a living, so I can make an aluminum catch can, thing is I don't know what the hell the special filter media is Calan uses to get the oil vapor out without the filter media becoming a restriction once it's wet..If I knew that, I'd just make one. Until then, if the catch can just lets vast majority of the shit pass through, then what damn good is it?

Thing is I have seen some ignition retard due to knock in some peoples logs running 30psi of boost on the MHI Evo III 16g. And I have to wonder, is their a generally accepted safe amount? Like so long as it's less than 1* ignition retard you're fine? Because I'm tuning for none at all on a heat soaked engine.

I don't have a dyno near by to make a run on, so I can only go off estimated vehicle weight + driver and what ECMLink spits out. Which has been as much as 340 and as low as 320 depending on how flat the road is. Some GSC S1 cam's would probably help a lot but not in the budget right now.

The final goal is 380whp. But I realize that's not happening with out cams and a few other tricks. Right now, I'm just trying to definitively find the safe limit of how far I can push it. Considering the 120,000 mile engine, no cams, and no other small tricks, i'd be VERY happy with a repeatable 350whp. I know for a fact the car does not like running as lean as I had it above 21psi. (11.2:1) Soon as I lowered it to 10.8:1 the knock I was seeing went away. So I upped the boost some more, 22.5, it came back.. pull timing down to 12* and it's pretty much gone again. But I feel like pulling timing down to 12* pulled a lot of power out of it neutralizing the benefit of increasing the boost.

I had expected to be able to hit 25psi before running into this sort of a thing.

Last edited:
Thing is I have seen some ignition retard due to knock in some peoples logs running 30psi of boost on the MHI Evo III 16g.

My dyno runs were on an MHI evoIII. The same one I'm trying to sell right now. Dyno runs were done on a 92 degree day back to back after driving over an hour to get there and strapping it straight to the dyno... soo... not sure where you got that from.

The car will tell you what it wants. tackle to catch can first, back your timing off and add boost. bring timing back in once you find out where YOUR turbo is happy at boost level.

Standard catch can media is just basic steel wool. It's nothing special. Of course you will need baffling but that's it.

Standard catch can media is just basic steel wool. It's nothing special. Of course you will need baffling but that's it.

rgr,

Newest log 24psi, 12* timing, I need to pull a little from the mafcomp from above 2000hz.

Attachments

• log.2017.08.05-03.elg
    15.1 KB · Views: 40
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back