The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

What Would You To Pass Emissions (Attached Results)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bo0st

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 26, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Car is a 95 GST completely stock other than DSMLink, K&N Filter & Greedy BOV

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Prior to today's test I warmed the car up really good by driving 35 highway miles.

If you were in my situation, what would you do to make it pass?

If you have a good catalytic converter, and the O2 sensor cycles at idle, and cruise you should pass. I've seen cars pass the sniffer with no converter. Post up a link log of startup, and a ride around the block.

If you have a good catalytic converter, and the O2 sensor cycles at idle, and cruise you should pass. I've seen cars pass the sniffer with no converter. Post up a link log of startup, and a ride around the block.

Alright I'll post up a log.

Should the log be from when the car is cold or hot?

When I start the car cold it idles like shit for a few minutes.

Nox is high. Hook up the egr. If it's hooked up, pull it off and clean the passages in the head and make sure that the valve in the egr does move with vacuum applied.

or apply for the applicable voucher in your area stating repairs will be more than worth to pass emissions (i know in washington it is $150 limit for vehicles 15 years or older). once the limit is passed, you get a voucher from a shop and it will just be a write off on your registration.

Here's a log from 10 minutes ago. Let me know what you guys think is going on.

As you can see when the car starts, it wants to die unless I give it some gas.

After it warms up, it no longer has that problem.

But as you all know, my main focus at the moment is passing emissions so if anyone can suggest some tips that would be great!

I keep reading online that running 30% of e85 in tank will do the trick can anyone verify this? I don't want to risk my motor since I'm running stock injectors so let me know if it's safe.

Attachments

• log.2015.03.05-01.elg
    739.4 KB · Views: 67
If i was in your situation I would first look at getting my fuel injectors either cleaned or replaced next I would test my o2 sensors both up and down stream/ see if there is any codes not registering through your ecm.. you can go to advance auto for this.. ( do u have a check engine light on? just a question ... then after all that making sure my cat was still serviceable/ good condition..

Last edited:
I have passed with my 1G with no cat by having 1/4 tank of 93 and a quart of denatured alcohol, and retarding the timing as far back as the cas would go. But that was on a 2 speed idle since the car is awd. It was not tested under load on a dyno.

I get cars to pass all the time on 1/4 tank 91 or 93octane and then add 2 gallons of e85 drive it til its warmed up and you should be good to go.

Car is a 95 GST completely stock other than DSMLink, K&N Filter & Greedy BOV

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Prior to today's test I warmed the car up really good by driving 35 highway miles.

If you were in my situation, what would you do to make it pass?

Another option is to register it in Arkansas, and you won't have to pass emissions test.

Big trick is to have a fresh oil change and to ensure that all PCV piping is all good to lower HC readings.

NOx is usually due to a defective EGR valve.

Do sniff tests when motor is hot.

Your big problem is that K&M filter - allows more air in and causing your system to pump in more fuel and that will make things on the rich side right there with those high HC and NOx readings.

You really have a bunch of issues to fix even before a sniff test should be done - like that bad idle which the temp sensor is usually the culprit in this case.

What temp is your t-stat using Any colder one out side of the needed 195* is making your system run rich and that will play havoc with your emissions.

I'm all stock and with a 195* t-stat and I passed my sniff test with flying colors.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back