What will your vehicle do with a bad tie rod end?

Posted by 94Jettameowpsst, Feb 18, 2009
Drivetrain Tech - 4G63 transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

1. 94Jettameowpsst

94Jettameowpsst Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    37.5%
    DSM Profiles:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    What will your vehicle do with a bad tie rod end?
    Here's the issue. On top of having a few bad bushings in the front i think this may be the culprit. On accel the steering wheel likes to "wobble" sort of like if you have bad rotors and you brake hard. The faster i go, the faster the steering wheel wobbles, also, it basically feels like i have a huge bend in one of my wheels...i believe its coming from the driver front..however its a new tire, un bent wheel, and new intermediate L shaped control arm/ball joint.

Any ideas??
  2. nuclearr

nuclearr Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Slidell, Louisiana
    could be but you need to go jack up the front one side at a time and see if the wheel has play. You have to grab the tire and try to rotate it if it moves left or right Watch the tie rods also bad ball joints can cause a similar effect. Also could be a bad stering rack.
  3. VETTE_50_TH

VETTE_50_TH Banned Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I know the feeling. I put my end link on backwards, and caused the problem. Also, the car being out of alignment will do this. Because, you tire is cockeyed, but you cant see it. Also, the balljoint being bad, and i know the 2g is different, but that being bad, will let the wheel have in and out movement, which can do it.

James :laser::talon:
  4. 94Jettameowpsst

94Jettameowpsst Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    37.5%
    DSM Profiles:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the responses.
    Yea this whole thing just started. It was slight before when my L shaped control arm went bad but i replaced that. I know my upper driver side bj needs changed but its been bad since i started driving the car again.
    Guess im going to just have to jack the car up and do that bc ive never had a bad rack/rod end so this is new for me. I noticed this morning on the way to work that it does it while coasting as well but just not as much.

Sigh why do i have a feeling this is going to be an expensive oem replacement :(
  5. Auto RS T

Auto RS T Supporting Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    N.E., Ohio
    Suspects:

Wheel bearing
    Tie Rod (inner or outer)
    Balljoints (upper, lower)
    Control arm bushings (upper, lower)
    loose lugnuts

All of these could cause the tire to wobble. The only way to know is to jack it up by the body and check like the others have mentioned.