The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

what type of turbo can a 420a 2.0l handle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inix92

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2010
vernon, Connecticut
I did some research but i couldn't find a topic about this or at least what im asking for.

Im thinking about putting a turbo in my automatic 2.0l 420a 2g talon, all im looking for is a little bit of pull nothing major im not into racing i just like a bit of a pull. A friend told me who currently has a 4g63 turboed that my motor wouldnt be able to handle any turbos without blowing the motor, so is their anything small enough that i wont have to worry about blowing the motor and just giving me a small pull. I wan t a turbo that has a good pull but doesnt become hazardous to the motor.

Thank you i appreciate the help.

The 420a wasn't designed for the purpose of being turbo'd. It can be done but it requires a lot of prep work just to get it up to the task of handling boost levels that our cars run stock. This prep work includes, but is not limited to :

Forged Pistons
Forged Rods
Better Head Gasket
Better Head Studs
Boost Gauge
Wideband
A way to log and record data
A way to tune
Fuel system upgrades (AFPR, Fuel Pump, Injectors)

You CANNOT just grab a turbo kit and turbo these engines. I have witnessed the rise and fall of a 420a that was mated with a 'Turbo Kit'. The head lifted, the headgasket blew, and oil painted everything after running it for 2 days under 8PSI. The Car was hitting fuel cut constantly as well, and sadly there was nothing I could say to convince the owner that he was about to destroy his engine.

My advice to you is to do a LOT of research before you even begin to consider purchasing parts for a Turbo Conversion on that 420a.

Edit : I just realized that you said it's an automatic. In that case disregard the clutch upgrade.

I ran mine on 8 pounds safely when I got it mine was bone stock all u need is a walbro fuelpump 255 some injectors freferably 450 or 550cc a missing link a safc2 to control fuel and a tune on the dyno and a turbo kit t3 would be ## best bet since u don't want much power Dont let peeps tell u ## gonna blow up cause there full of it it's all in the tune that keeps it from gernading

I ran mine on 8 pounds safely when I got it mine was bone stock all u need is a walbro fuelpump 255 some injectors freferably 450 or 550cc a missing link a safc2 to control fuel and a tune on the dyno and a turbo kit t3 would be ## best bet since u don't want much power Dont let peeps tell u ## gonna blow up cause there full of it it's all in the tune that keeps it from gernading

And it's the 'peeps' that don't warn of the problematic circumstances of turboing an ill prepared engine. Sure you MIGHT be fine just slapping the above said 'upgrades' on (Don't forget your APFR there buddy, otherwise you'll over-run that poor little stock FPR with a 255) and you might make it out of the woods without a scratch.

If you want to be smart then build up your internals before you do any sort of boosting. Otherwise have fun with boosting a high-compression engine and praying to god every time you get on it that you don't blow your head gasket and cause irreparable damage.

First off your friend is an idiot. 2ndly i agree and disagree with you Xik, You can just slap a turbo kit on your stock engine (with a walbro 255 and FCD and i think another fuel upgrade cant remember off hand, but you don't need bigger injectors if you are just running 8ish) and run 8-10 lbs of boost without any worry on a stock engine AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A HEALTHY ENGINE!!!! Many have been doing it, but make sure you are up to date on your servicing and etc. especially your head gasket, for the 420a is notorious for leaking/bad head gaskets. I am pretty sure you don't even need to tune it, though i would highly recommend it.

Now, do your research, i find it hard to believe you couldn't find an answer, cause there are millions of threads on 420a turbos, including a how to build a $1000 kit and etc. And while i disagree you don't need forged internals, as long as you are running 8-10lbs, if you do that prep work that Xik recommended then you will be happier in the future when you become boost addicted as many do.

First off your friend is an idiot. 2ndly i agree and disagree with you Xik, You can just slap a turbo kit on your stock engine (with a walbro 255 and FCD and i think another fuel upgrade cant remember off hand, but you don't need bigger injectors if you are just running 8ish) and run 8-10 lbs of boost without any worry on a stock engine AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A HEALTHY ENGINE!!!! Many have been doing it, but make sure you are up to date on your servicing and etc. especially your head gasket, for the 420a is notorious for leaking/bad head gaskets. I am pretty sure you don't even need to tune it, though i would highly recommend it.

Now, do your research, i find it hard to believe you couldn't find an answer, cause there are millions of threads on 420a turbos, including a how to build a $1000 kit and etc. And while i disagree you don't need forged internals, as long as you are running 8-10lbs, if you do that prep work that Xik recommended then you will be happier in the future when you become boost addicted as many do.

You're 100% correct.. my friend was an idiot. Now he's at "UTI" and thinks he knows everything... anyway..

As long as there is valid information I'm not one to argue.

If it were me, though, I would do the internal work so that I wouldn't be worried about the additional power. No one will be happy with minimal boost and will end up ragging the hell out of their engine and when it becomes tempting to mess with that MBC then you'll wish you had done the work in the first place.

Just my outlook on preventive maintenance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back