The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What turbo should I run?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ithaca69

Probationary Member
Oct 22, 2018
Meshoppen, Pennsylvania
I know this question probably annoys anyone who knows anything about turbos, but this is my first experience with them, and I dont know where else to find answers to all my questions. The previous owner had a godspeed big 20g (yikes), and I want to get rid of it. I'm running stock injectors for now, have a 255 fuel pump to put in, and want to run as much boost as I can safely. I'm thinking a 16g will do just fine, but I have the hardest time finding one for a decent price anywhere but Ebay, and I'm not risking it. Where should I be looking?

An evo16g is probably the single easiest turbo to find for these cars. Either post a WTB ad on this website or join the DSM Classifieds group on Facebook (let me guess-you're not on FB).

I am on Facebook, and I have posted on there before (valve cover) I'm currently reading the turbo education thread to learn a little, and found an evo 16g on extreme psi's pages. Think I'd find them cheaper on facebook?

@JusMX141 is our resident turbo man. He is very professional and stands behind his work so you can trust him
This is one of his latest ad's, it has sold, but you can see what he offers and if needed, contact him.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/new-cx-racing-evo-iii-16g-turbo-chra-cover.519903/

Click on the "Classifieds" tab at the top of the page and scroll through them to see if there is anything that looks like what you are needing.
Thanks for getting onto the Best DSM Website on the web! We all try to be helpful!
Marty

I have a big 16g that I just rebuilt. No leaks when it was pulled but had some play hence the rebuild. Fully ported turbine housing. No creep. Pm me...

I can build a Small 16G Supercore (CHRA and cover) and use your Godspeed 20G's turbine housing and wastegate actuator. Price-wise that's about as good as it would get for a durable turbo in the airflow range you're looking for on the stock fuel system.

The Chinese knockoffs can be made better but it's not worth the money. By the time you buy one, pull it all down, balance the rotor group, hog out the oiling hole in the thrust plate, port the wastegate hole, weld the flapper bushing in the housing to prevent it from walking out, etc- you've spent almost as much as what I could build a 16G or 20G for from the ground up.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I've been eyeballing the evoIII 16g on ExtremePSI's site for a good bit here, and I think that might be the direction I'm going. Even after upgrading the fueling system, I'm not looking for much for than around 20psi boost wise, and I think the 16g will do just fine at that level

The Evo III will definitely require fuel system upgrades and a tuning platform to be used at anything above stock boost while the Small 16G can be used up to around 15-16psi on stock fuel without hurting anything. There's a pretty decent gap in airflow between those two.

Again, you're already sitting on a perfectly usable turbine housing and actuator with that knockoff 20G. You can save a significant amount of money by utilizing what you have and getting something like this built instead:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back