The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

What to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FryboyX

Probationary Member
Jan 8, 2016
Bardstown, Kentucky
So yesterday I replaced my throttle cable and gas pedal and took it for a good drive and parked it for the night. This morning I go out and was going to fix the blend door (heater and air cable broke) as well as do a tune up, change the fluids and do all the maintenance it needed. So I start it up and let it get idle to normal op temp and notice white smoke from undernieth the hood between the head and fuel rail area so I get out to inspect it and notice it's has white smoke coming out of the tailpipe like an old steam locomotive. The car was not overheating or running rough but, I believe it has the beginning stages of a head gasket leak....... I let it cool down and took of the radiator cap and restarted it. It's not rushing out of the cap but more of a steady driping overflow with light bubbling as opposed to flowing through the coolant hose and radiator like it's supposed to. So I figured my options will be put some blue devil in and sell it and run, replace the head gasket, rebuild the entire engine for boost as that was the goal anyway or replace the engine.... if any one has any input it would be greatly appreciated. May consider just buying a gst or gsx if the price is right.

I'm contemplating an awd swap. I could probably get by without swaping the rear hatch pan by drilling the holes and mounting a fuel cell in the hatch. Still doing research but there is so many different methods and opinions. I wish I could find a true build thread on here.

I'm not feeling changing the HG on an engine with 217k just to put it back together for something else needing to be done I just put a new throttle cable and gas pedal assembly on it that was $100 already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't be a 420a will be a complete gsx swap.

I'm biting the bullet and pulling the engine today for a tear down. Going to be building for around 10-15 lbs of boost. Any recommendations on parts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The car will be worth absolutely nothing if the engine is bad. Hell, people here in Houston have trouble selling a gst or gsx with a bad engine much less a 420a.

I've got it about half way out taking a break LOL been working on it all morning. I found 8:1 weisco pistons on eBay for 589 shipped and eagle h beams for 349 with a crank regrind and some good bearing I think that's all I'm going to do the bottom end. Planing to leave the head alone too minus a .2 mill and new valves seals with a Mls gasket and arp studs. I still have the obx turbo header from last year so I plan to run 6-8 lbs at first with just an fmu then will raise boost after I get a haltec 1500 elite ecu.

Was listing options... none the less was still an option. Engine is out of the car now.

Was listing options... none the less was still an option. Engine is out of the car now.
Sorry man, and really NOT trying to lecture here, but trying to "run" or "pass off" YOUR issue to an unsuspecting buyer is WRONG in more ways than I can begin to make you comprehend..

KARMA bro, it is a b*tich and I would rather have the good vibes on my side than the bad..

Lol pretty sure I was the unsuspecting buyer IMO. But anyways like I said engine is out and got the head off will be sending the block to machine shop tomorrow hopefully I can keep this under 800 from build to install. Going back to oem specs will be boosting from there. Nothing serious hoping to make around 160 to the wheels....

So, your logic is, pass the buck to the next Joe Schmo because you were the "unsuspecting buyer" and got screwed? I REALLY don't understand the younger generations inability to accept responsibility for their OWN actions.. That being said, glad you removed the motor and decided to tackle the issue, GL with the build..

Lol what is your deal? First off I was giving a list of real life realistic options that one could do with a given situation. Secondly I'm by no means younger generation. I'm a late 20s mold technician at Toyota and a father of 3. Third of which I'm a self proclaimed used car salesman/modder in my free time. I've bought, built and sold more cars this past month which is not even over with yet than you probably have driven your entire life and I have a REAL LIFE Facebook page that can back that 100% the f*** up my friend.

Yeah I'm over the argument with this guy he apparently has nothing better to do but hijack my thread with harassment. Any way starting a new build thread as I'm sure this should no longer be posted here now that it's an official build.

WOW... the hostility is strong with this guy. I can tell just by reading that you were simply listing different routes, which doesn't mean you would sell it without disclosing mechanical issues. I've been in your shoes though (this year). Bought a 99 GS that ran fine for a week then the transmission failed, horribly. Tried selling it, tried parting it out, no takers even though the engine was perfect and the transmission was the only bad thing on the car.

Anyway, don't let hostile, idiotic, know-it-alls try to sway your choice in doing what you have (I think he has a thing for karma). If you're planning to do the full 4g63/awd swap to your 420a car, then that's your choice, and no one can tell you otherwise. Just know it's a lot of work, not hard, but a lot of it. Good luck. :thumb:

Yeah I don't get offended easily but had to draw the line somewhere. But for right now I'm going to have this engine rebuilt I'm stuck between a factory rebuild and a mild build won't know till the machine shop opens in a couple hours I'm defenitly trying to keep the cost low for something so basic. Without a doubt in my mind I'm sure I could do the awd swap it's just a matter of that's not what I'm really after here. I'm simply just trying to get familyer with boosting and tuneing as I plan to supercharge my 350z soon with me doing all the tuning and I'm sure many more projects to come after I get the experience in looking for. Now I will tell you this yes I will be having this engine redone but I cannot gurentee it to go back in this car I may end up buying a spyder.

For low cost, I'd stick with a factory rebuild and just return it do good running condition. Like everyone ultimately says, the 420 isn't the greatest engine, and is only really decent at being an economy car. I've seen a few that were boosted, but it takes a bit of money to do it to the engine properly. I say don't bother with a turbo set up if you want the lower costs. But, if you're okay with higher cost, then doing a light boost upgrade wouldn't be harmful as long as it was planned part by part.

Well I think I may go a whole different direction just talked to spencer my local machinest and he is going to want an upwards of 1800 for just a factory build. So with this being said I may just keep this car for parts around. After I post this I'm going to get on Craigslist and find something else. Im looking for either a 1g gst or a 2g spyder gst or if someone has one on here for sale I will gladly like to check it out. Would rather contribute to the site members anyways.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back