The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What made FP t28 "better"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96atawd

Proven Member
Jul 10, 2013
Havelock, North_Carolina
Hello 'Tuners, I am wondering what made FP's bigt28 "better" than other t28's?

Let me start by saying I have my mind set on a t28, so please don't try to convince me to get a 16g or other turbo, this thread is only for t28's. Also, I know I can no longer buy a new t28 from FP as they stopped making them, and I know it will probably take a while for me to find and afford THE turbo I want, which is perfectly fine.

Now, I have read some threads stating that the FP big28 (not their original t28/28, but their Big28) is supposedly the "best" t28 out their for the dsm platform. I have seen other companies offer "big" t28's which I believe are your basic Garrett big t28, and was wondering what exactly made the bigt28 that FP used to offer better than the others out there? Was it just that they offered porting to the turbine entry and upgraded wg actuator? Or did FP do other things to the t28 that made it much better than a regular Garrett t28?

Again, I know I will most likely have to find a used one, and this is not a t28 vs 16g thread so please, in the nicest way possible, keep 16g talk out. I am just wondering what exactly FP did to make theirs better than others.

Thanks 'Tuners!

So the only thing that FP did to make their big t28 "better" was just porting (and 17psi wg actuator)??? They didn't do anything else at all to make it better than the Garrett big t28?

Also, I just googled 'Garrett TB2578" and it does not seem to be the same turbo I am talking about. (Not trying to be rude at all, just making sure we are talking about the same turbo.

This FP bigt28: http://www.theboostlab.com/store/product_images/a/087/FPBig28_001__85294.jpg

compared to a "regular" big t28

Like this Garrett big t28: http://gpopshop.com/products-page/all-turbos/brand-new-genuine-garrett-big-t28-turbo/

Some didn't even have the actuator installed- it was just a ported TB2578....as shown in this photo:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm not sure this turbo is even still in production, so anything you find will be leftover stock likely sold at retail price...like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2G-DSM-TALON-ECLIPSE-T28-GARRETT-TURBO-TURBOCHARGER-NEW-/120683655799

...of course you can get an Evo III 16G which has more airflow and better reliability with a cheaper price tag, but if your heart's set on a T28 you're going to have a difficult time finding one.

Again, I know I will most likely have to find a used one, and this is not a t28 vs 16g thread so please, in the nicest way possible, keep 16g talk out. I am just wondering what exactly FP did to make theirs better than others.

Thanks 'Tuners!

I have seen used t28's for sale, some stating they are a Garrett big t28, some saying a big t28 purchased from gpop, some from hpfreaks, some from FP some from some other venders. I am just curious what made the FP big t28 better than all the other "stock appearing" big t28's like the Garrett big t28. https://gpopshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/NewT25-1024x852.jpg

I've also read that some big t28's have a 9 blade and some having a 10 blade. Is this true or do they all have 9 blade?

When I search for ' Garrett tb2578 ' I see these non dsm flanged turbos : http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.../vspfiles/photos/465981-0002-2.jpg?1327408529

Not the "stock appearing" big t28 I am inquiring about

I have seen used t28's for sale, some stating they are a Garrett big t28, some saying a big t28 purchased from gpop, some from hpfreaks, some from FP some from some other venders. I am just curious what made the FP big t28 better than all the other "stock appearing" big t28's like the Garrett big t28. https://gpopshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/NewT25-1024x852.jpg
Some are sold as new-in-box TB2578's, some are sold as ported/upgraded TB2578's, and some are built with T28 parts using an old T25 as a core. When it comes down to it you're likely to notice no difference in any of the three unless you're really pushing it to the max.

I've also read that some big t28's have a 9 blade and some having a 10 blade. Is this true or do they all have 9 blade?
The TB2578 uses what is basically a 9-blade GT2560 turbine, not a standard T28 turbine. Those using the 10-blade T28 turbine were built by someone and are not a factory Garrett turbocharger. The wheel spec is the same- only the blade count differs.

When I search for ' Garrett tb2578 ' I see these non dsm flanged turbos : http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.../vspfiles/photos/465981-0002-2.jpg?1327408529

Not the "stock appearing" big t28 I am inquiring about
Simple- stop believing what you find in stock photos on Google. The part number I'm giving you (705329-0002) is the factory upgrade turbo for a DSM made by Garrett...named the TB2578. You're making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

Look at it this way- the Evo III 16G is a factory upgrade turbo for a DSM which never came on any new DSM ever produced. If one company takes a new Evo III 16G and ports it then markets it as their own, and another company takes a standard Small 16G and upgrades it to an Evo III 16G using all new parts and machines the compressor cover correctly, then the end result is both turbos will perform identically.

Anyone else have anything to add as to how the FP big t28 was supposedly better than a Garrett big t28?

My man Jusmx has given you what you need. He is very knowledgeable in the area and what I believe he is trying to say is that when it comes down to it they will perform identical and since the FP is a hassle to get, you would be fine with the other. I'm curious, why T28? I just don't see why if you have to wait till you can find one you can afford you wouldn't go with a practical choice. Evo III is a cheap, and proven turbo.

I was looking for t28 info, not (yet another) t28 vs 16g war.

Is the porting option the ONLY thing that made FP's t28 "better" than all other t25 based, stock appearing Garrett t28's offered by others?

I know exactly how the op feels. I'm also trying to go with a big t28 setup for a few reasons.
its a directly bolt on, has less spool lag compared to the evo 3 and looks completly stock.
I want people to look under my hood and see a completly stock car, and then get spanked on the road. I'm even building a custom 2,5" exhaust with a mufler that looks exactly like the stock one. :thumb:

I was looking for t28 info, not (yet another) t28 vs 16g war.

Is the porting option the ONLY thing that made FP's t28 "better" than all other t25 based, stock appearing Garrett t28's offered by others?

I've also been doing a little research lately, and it appears that fp big t28 is EXACTLY like the garret big t28. Some say that fp has clipped wheels, but i'm not 100% sure.

The porting and the 17 psi actuator were optional and costed a little extra.

I know exactly how the op feels. I'm also trying to go with a big t28 setup for a few reasons.
its a directly bolt on, has less spool lag compared to the evo 3 and looks completly stock.
I want people to look under my hood and see a completly stock car, and then get spanked on the road. I'm even building a custom 2,5" exhaust with a mufler that looks exactly like the stock one. :thumb:

I've also been doing a little research lately, and it appears that fp big t28 is EXACTLY like the garret big t28. Some say that fp has clipped wheels, but i'm not 100% sure.

The porting and the 17 psi actuator were optional and costed a little extra.

Yeah I've heard they are the exact same, other than the possible porting and 17psi wg actuator, but have also heard the "regular" t28's had 10 blades while the FP had 9, the "regular" was not clipped and the FP was etc etc. I'm just trying to figure out exactly every little thing that is different between the two so I will know if I should stick to searching for just the FP t28, or broaden my search to all t28's (if there is nothing special about the FP).

I am also interested in a t28 for the same reasons. Complete bolt on, stock ic pipe/water line/oil line routing, completely stock looking, slightly quicker spool than the e316g (albeit slightly less cfm/hp capable) etc...

Just curious as to what exactly makes the FP Big28 better than the regular Garrett big t28. (I have always read the FP is better, but don't why, and I want to know why)

As far as i know, garret regular t28 has 10 blades, and the big has 9.

I think most people say fp is better because of the branding and the good quality of their turbos.
I was looking for a fp big t28, but i ended up buying a regular big t28 with the 17 psi actuator because i convinced myself they are essencially the same.

i've heard clipped wheels gives you more top end, but garret doesn't recommend doing that , or you'll ruin the blade flow.

anyway, i think we have listed all the differences, if there are any. LOL

As far as i know, garret regular t28 has 10 blades, and the big has 9.

I think most people say fp is better because of the branding and the good quality of their turbos.
I was looking for a fp big t28, but i ended up buying a regular big t28 with the 17 psi actuator because i convinced myself they are essencially the same.

i've heard clipped wheels gives you more top end, but garret doesn't recommend doing that , or you'll ruin the blade flow.

anyway, i think we have listed all the differences, if there are any. LOL

So even the Garrett big t28 has 9 blades, not just the FP big28?

The difference between a fp big t28, and evo 3 16g is not slight. One has made 499 whp, and the other has very few people in the 12's in the quarter. Quite a few people have run an evo 3 into the 10's.

I have ran an evo3, and fp big t28 on the same car, same setup. The difference was not small.

The big fp t28 has a 9 blade turbine. It is as jusmx is saying, not a t28, but a tb2578. It will also have the fp logo stamped into it. A regular Garrett t28 has a 10 blade turbine, and t28 compressor wheel.

In all actuality the t28 I ran on my car was much more comparable to a 14b than an evo3 16g.

I bought a garret t28 a while back. It was not marketed as an fp big t28,, just a garret t28. Its got 9 blades and 17lb wg actuator as stock. It pulls harder than the stock t25 at all rev ranges, spools slower,, but its pulling harder none the less. Only drawback is it locks you into a side mount intercooler,, or a restrictive U pipe to fit a front mount.

I've also been doing a little research lately, and it appears that fp big t28 is EXACTLY like the garret big t28.
How convenient, seeing as they're the same turbo and all.

Just curious as to what exactly makes the FP Big28 better than the regular Garrett big t28. (I have always read the FP is better, but don't why, and I want to know why)
Apparently all of the information I've posted above means nothing to you if you're still asking the same question in post #12 as you were in post #1.

So even the Garrett big t28 has 9 blades, not just the FP big28?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The TB2578 uses what is basically a 9-blade GT2560 turbine, not a standard T28 turbine. Those using the 10-blade T28 turbine were built by someone and are not a factory Garrett turbocharger. The wheel spec is the same- only the blade count differs.

The only "T28" part of the entire turbo sold by either Garrett or FP is the compressor wheel, and nothing else. If you buy a TB2578 from any vendor you're getting the same exact turbo you would have previously gotten from FP.

It's dubbed a "Big T28" despite the actual model being a TB2578 because it combines the largest T28 compressor wheel available mated to the best-flowing T2-series turbine available. Go ahead- try to put a T28 parts kit into a TB2578....I dare you. It's not going to fit because the turbo is not a T28. You'd need a parts kit for....you guessed it- a TB2578.

At the end of the day it's smaller in terms of wheel spec and airflow production than a Mitsu Small 16G....sort-of in between the 14B and Small 16G as Donnie has stated above.

To each his own on the Turbo selection and set up. But I feel like after reading all the info Justin has given you, you shouldn't have to ask any farther. He knows what he is talking about and has proven that time and time again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back