The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G What is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
I replaced my fuel filter over the weekend and just looked back through a few pictures I took and noticed a cap. I've never seen this before, but the cap has Prestone printed on it like the coolant brand. Is this some sort of oem coolant drain on the heater core hose that Mitsu ended up removing, or likely something someone added to the system?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Looks like someone just added a bleed valve in the heater core hose. Not quite sure why though. Its common on cars that are hard to bleed air pockets from the heater core (Nissan 350z/G35 comes factory with these). Its not hurting anything, but if it bothers you, just put a new hose on it.

It is a cooling system flush valve.

You can undo the cap and attach a garden hose to flush the system.

(Though I do sell them to anyone with a jeep 4.0 straight 6 to bleed the heater hoses that go over the motor)

It likely means that your car, like mine, at one point had a stop leak additive added to the cooling system and clogged the heater core.

If I remember correctly you were having problems with the heater on this car when you first bought it.

I fixed the heater on my project car by removing the heater hoses from the engine and flushing the core out from both directions several times with a garden hose. I also replace the heater hoses with new 5/8 universal heater hose.

Recommended for heater core problems:
Blue devil cooling system flush $8
Prestone 5/8 6ft heater hose $8
Prestone/peak coolant flush kit $4 (you need the garden hose attachment)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back