The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G What is this red light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhan

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2010
Denver, Colorado
What is this red light on the dash near the fog light switch? I searched and found one other thread from 2002, but no one answered.
It looks like its from the factory but if you follow the red and blue wires, they were never used. I applied power to the little light and it blew up. Light probably hasn't been touched in all 26 years.

Anybody know what this was for?

Edit: car is a 92 AWD

Attachments

• 20180116_153106.jpg
    20180116_153106.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 90
Nah....it's where the pop up switch used to be on 90 and 91 models and was never hooked to anything, or at least my 92 doesn't do anything and its all stock. Looks just like that LOL.

Aftermarket alarm? Maybe dealer installed? I had a 1g with a dealer installed alarm system with a light there (mine was smaller though). It was common in the early 90s.

Edit: I want to say it was a "K-9" alarm system. I probably still have my fob somewhere, buried in a drawer for the last twenty years.

Last edited:
Stock 1gb.....
Although they were only a lens, no light.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yup.. that's an after market Car Alarm LED. I know, I used to install those right in the unused 1GB factory blank, where the 90-91 Pop up light switch used to be. Nothing a #1 Uni-Bit can't handle.

Now a days installers are known for putting them in the top of the steering column cover, or on the front windshield (most modern alarms incorporate the LED function in to the glass-mounted antenna). I've even wired a few up as poor-man's knock LEDs (triggered off of the ECU BCS signal) waaay back, in the pre-DSMLink days.

You can generally re-purpose these old alarm LEDs for just about anything, but keep in mind that they're usually 2 volt LEDs & you will let the smoke out of them (as someone previously found out) by giving them a full 12 volt input

My blank has no wires even. Just a lens. No led.
Maybe back in the day someone put a dummy lens in but I'd think that is harder to get than a plain led bulb.

So the car must have had an alarm on it once upon a time. Interesting to know. Thanks for the input everyone!

I already blew out the LED by putting too much voltage on it just like BoostedTalon said :ohdamn:
But I think I'll put in a little bulb in there and wire it up to the fog light switch, which I repurposed into a manual radiator fan on/off button. That way I won't forget to turn the fans off when I start moving.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back