The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

What is this car worth / Is this car a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsfutbol17

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Bellingham, Washington
I found a 1996 Spyder GST for $4900. It is a 5-speed, 91,000 miles on it, white with black top, 17 inch rims. There is 80% tread left on the tires but the guy has a brand new never used set of tires for the car that is included in the price. He says the top doesn't leak, but it had a rip and was repaired, but he didn't like it, so he bought a brand new oem top that isn't installed and is included with the car. He says the interior is really nice, everything inside works, but you have to help the top up a little bit. He doesn't know if the timing belt has been replaced or not. It has a 3 inch cat back exhaust, 16G turbo, apexi intake and a greddy bov. He says it runs great and has no issues. He says he just wants to get rid of it because he doesn't drive it and its taking up space in his garage, which sounds good to me because he kept it garaged at least. he also said that the paint is good on it, no clear coat coming off, no body damage or dents. I'm going to check for crankwalk be looking at the clutch pedal when I turn left. I have been talking to the guy over the phone and I'm suppose to go drive for 4 hours to go and buy it if it checks out on Thursday. Does it sound good? Should I ask him or check for other things on it?
full_car.jpg
engine.jpg
partial_engine.jpg

I am looking at a 98 Eclipse RS Turbo that has 158K that needs a new head gasket and radiator. What do you think would be a reasonable offer for the car? It had a compression test done and 1,3,4 are normal 2 has only 98 lbs.

EDIT: Body and interior are straight, it starts and idles nice.

What it has on it.

Aftermarket- t3/t4 turbo, 38mm ext. Wastegate with tial springs & diaphram, ceramic coated downpipe with recirculated wastegate, high flow Apex'i N1 cat back exhaust, Greddy rs bov, symtech labs FCD, Vortech 12:1 FMU, stainless steal braided oil line, oil reducer fitting for turbo, rewired walbro 255 LPH fuel pump, side mount intercooler, adjustable tokico struts & springs with 1.5 inch drop, rear camber kit, full alignment, energy suspension front & rear swaybar bushings, MSD coil pack, Megan racing short shifter, symbroski solid shifter plate bushings, aluminum catch can, Alpine type s speakers, Alpine 4channel amp, Rockford fosgate 2channel amp & bass adjustment knob, Polk 12inch subs in a ported matching box, Rockford fosgate capacitor, Sony head unit. Boost, A/f ratio, & volts gauges in pillar pod. Rs limited 18inch rims, front strut bar, rear OBX strut bar & lower tie bar. 160 degree thermostat, 5% tint on back 3 windows. 35% tint driver & passenger door. Riken raptor tires all around with only 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
Just curious what you guys think of this car, i have been out of the DSM game for years. This is from the ad its self, asking 3000

Automatic w4a33 transmission.
Stuck in limp mode not sure what it needs don't have time or money to fix it. Does leak a little oil through the crank seals I believe I ordered some crank seals. It is a salvaged title. The car was junked and that caused the salvage. It was resurrected from the dead and was never in an accident.
The car has 73000 miles . It is all original . I've never seen a more unmolested dsm. It's all bone stock nothing ever touched. The car sat for 10 years and I got it running.
New Goodyear all season tires. ($650)
New Engine control unit. ($600)
All new gates racing timing belt tensioner water pump etc.
New rotors and pads.
New fuel pump / cleaned the tank.
NGK Blue wires. New coils. New Interstate battery.

Not a terrible price if it checks out. Slightly concerned that it seems like this guy knows nothing about it but apparently tracks the car. it clearly looks to have strut tower bar, intake and intake pipe, racing harness, gauges, possible link based on the cable in the back seat, and a huge exhaust. Also looks like a god size crack in the front bumper on the left side.

All in all looks good with a decent amount of stuff already done, but doesn't make sense how it just doesn't boost anymore because the vacuum lines mysteriously got swapped? Did he buy it like that?

Use that to talk him down to 3K and then fix it and have a sweet ride.

I bought the car.

Everything checked out. It just boiled down to a shadetree mechanics buying the wrong parts and not knowing shit about cars.

Got it for 3500. Not to bad considering I've bought much worse condition cars for 3k several years back. Car runs great, expect it Is getting spark blowout, plugs in it where gapped to .o42--.045, even worse, they were NGK g power platinums. Car still has boost leaks, bucking and such under boost. But it is no longer getting spark blowout under light load/boost.

Honestly it needs to be gone through with a fine tooth comb, and have stuff cleaned, and tightened up. But its a nice base. And I can drive to work when my wife needs the corolla.

Next purchase will be a Truck So we both have something reliable for a daily.

I have a question on what a car is worth I do not have pics yet but maybe you guys can give me an idea

Car is a 91 1g TSI AWD AUTO panda tan leather interior sunroof 129,000 MILES the body is 8.5 out of 10 ZERO rust interior is 7.5 out of 10 maybe better after its cleaned out

This car is 100℅ stock I mean nothing had been done to it. I have never seen a Car this stock in real life before. Car dose not run and it has been sitting for ow 3 years that I know of maybe more

I want to buy it but don't want to pay to much and or want to know what it's worth after I get it running and driving again.

Thanks for the help

Hearing it run would be the key to the entire thing.. Unknown? I'd personally pay about 800 for it, and nothing more. If it was a good running and driving car, bone stock with no rust.. could probably fetch 3-4k to the right buyer. I paid 5500 for my bone stock, one owner 92 6/4bolt 5 speed with 60k on the clock and all the service history of the car.

I want to buy it but don't want to pay to much and or want to know what it's worth after I get it running and driving again.

Thanks for the help
Paying too much varies from person to person, it's what the car's worth to you really. What little info I know about it though, for a '91 Talon A/T AWD I pay $1.5 to $2k even if it wasn't running because it's a '91, it's a AWD Talon, and it's unmolested. If it were a '91 Eclipse GSX I'd pay $1000...

To me, personally, finding a '91 A/T AWD is hard enough but because it's a Talon too it's worth another $1k to me.

I have a technical question. I have listed below from an add I placed trying to sell my baby. The big problem for me is that I don't what I should be asking for her, and I keep getting low balled offers. I just recently dropped her price by $10k am I asking enough or am I asking to little now?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is my 98 GSX Eclipse. I have had her for about 10 years I'm the second owner, and she still looks new. I purchased her with 5,367 miles. She has been carefully stored and covered within the last 5 years. With purchase price I have spent a little more than $40k on her. Some of the goodies include

DN Performance ceramic coated header.

Turbonetics T3 T4 ceramic ball bearing, liquid cooled turbo.

Custome 3" down pipe from the the Speed Lab of Albuquerque.

Apexi GT Spec exaust.

Tial 44mm waste gate

Blitz dual drive blow off valve

AEM stand alone, needs some more tuning. I also have a Mega Squirt, it has a few more options with it, but needs a tune, it goes with the car.

Fluidyne 2" aluminum racing radiator

Aeromotive stealth 340 fuel pump

RC 1000cc injectors

New Shep Trans stage 4 transmission 1000hp, 10k rpm shift ratting, with about 1,500 miles on it. Was recently installed after sitting in storage for 5 years

New Shep Trans, transfer case 1000hp ratting, same as above

DriveShaft Shop 1000hp ratted drive shaft built to go with Shep Trans components, same as above

New scatter Shield Purchased thru Shep Trans, same as above

Stage 5 clutch masters clutch

Koni shoks

Eibach springs

New Kumho tires 194 mph speed ratting about 1,500 miles on them

Stillen front strut tower brace

She will come with all the original parts that have been removed including original and after market spoilers. There are a few more things that are not listed above that will be included with purchase. Like ARP head studs.

She is a total blast to drive, very smooth power delivery, and the last time she was on the Dyno she had 375 awhp with a slipping clutch. She now has the stage 5 clutch and Shep Trans goodies, so not sure what the numbers would be now. I recently became disabled and am unable to put any more time or money into her. I am in need of a new vehicle now.

No clue what your price is either. But with that low mileage you would get more money selling the performance parts and selling the car as close to stock as possible. Most people looking for a car with only 10k miles aren't looking for a modified one.

No clue what your price is either. But with that low mileage you would get more money selling the performance parts and selling the car as close to stock as possible. Most people looking for a car with only 10k miles aren't looking for a modified one.

Thanks just trying to figure out what I should do?

I would return the car to bone stock and sell it that way. You will get much more money and you can sell those nice aftermarket parts separately for a large chunk of cash as well.

Doing this any other way is not an option in my opinion, unless you don't like money.

I would return the car to bone stock and sell it that way. You will get much more money and you can sell those nice aftermarket parts separately for a large chunk of cash as well.

Doing this any other way is not an option in my opinion, unless you don't like money.

Thanks, what kind of price should I ask for her in bone stock form?

I only know my area, and around here you'd be lucky to get 1/3 of your asking price. For reference a friend just bought a very nice 2g awd TSI auto with 40k miles for less than $4k. Only need minor maintenance, fluid flush, oil change, fixed boost leaks, etc. But that's this market.

Just curious, how are you $40k into the car? I'm looking at the mod list and even with new purchases it's not close to that much.

I only know my area, and around here you'd be lucky to get 1/3 of your asking price. For reference a friend just bought a very nice 2g awd TSI auto with 40k miles for less than $4k. Only need minor maintenance, fluid flush, oil change, fixed boost leaks, etc. But that's this market.

Just curious, how are you $40k into the car? I'm looking at the mod list and even with new purchases it's not close to that much.

With what I originally paid for her plus mods. When I bought her people were still asking for $18k to $20k plus with around 30k miles on them. I got her early 2000's I have some of my receipts for parts I can post up if need be?

It's a shame how much the going rate for these cars has declined. If you can put the car back in the same condition it rolled off the showroom floor you'll catch the eye of a collector somewhere with some cash. Not sure what you should ask, but a general rule of thumb with cars, mods kill value. Especially on very low milage cars like yours.

That low of miles wouldn't make me pay any extra for it. It's still an 18 year old car. Rubber lines/hoses/seals/trim dry out. That low of mileage would lead me to believe the odometer is wrong, unless I personally knew you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back