The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

2G What is the best way to fix this cracking??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cano86

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2008
Hartford, Connecticut
Hello, I just bought this shell from a member here as my spyder had to be put to sleep due to rot. Well I was looking around the car today and notice some cracks behind the tire on the wheel well area.

I would like to know how would be the best way to get this fix? also will adding a strut tower brace help with this?

After scraping my old one due to rust/rot, this shell is actually the cleanest I would find here on northeastern part as is actually pretty much rust free, only has some surface rust by the clutch reservoir but that will be taken care off soon as well.

Just looking for some opinions on how to get this fix or if i should even worry about it.

If it matters my plan and hp goals for this shell are 550-600whp, will more than likely se track although not occasional as I just want to have a nice looking strong car. The motor is already built waiting to get dropped in, but have to address all issues and imperfections first.

Here are some pictures attached, the cracks are on both sides Passenger/Driver side and are marked with red lining, don't mind the fender and fender lining as those will be replaced as well, as mentioned I just got this shell 2 days ago. TIA for any input!!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I work at a body shop, and my best guess would be somehow using panel bond, or lord fusor. Because that does look like factory panel bond cracking

I work at a body shop, and my best guess would be somehow using panel bond, or lord fusor. Because that does look like factory panel bond cracking

Thanks and yeah it does looks like the Factory bond is what's cracking, should I scrape off that old one and prep the are better before applying the bond to prevent future rust? I have no issues in mechanic but body work is not my field :).

Thanks and yeah it does looks like the Factory bond is what's cracking, should I scrape off that old one and prep the are better before applying the bond to prevent future rust? I have no issues in mechanic but body work is not my field :).
To be safe I would fine the bare metal make sure it hasn’t already started to rust, because when it starts, you can slow it down but you won’t stop it if you don’t completely get rid of it. I’m sure you could just prime it and fill it with more panel bond

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back