The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G What is a W4A33 EV-S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanley talon

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 10, 2005
Spencer, Indiana
I have a mystery I need help solving. I have an automatic AWD transmission and it has no numbers scribed into the vin plate on the bell housing. I was able to locate the number W4A33 EV-S on the bottom of the bell housing. I called John at IPT tuning and he said he has never heard of this transmission? So I am reaching out to all dsm tuners to help me find the answer. I have attached pictures to be viewed. The transmission is in the 1999 eclipse gsx I just bought.

The kid before me had a guy work on the car and he was told it was from a 1997 Eagle Talon AWD.
But I can not verify that just yet. I have searched everywhere for this answer. If you can help please please do.

Kind Regards,
JC

Attachments

• 20170121_124442.jpg
    20170121_124442.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20170121_124515.jpg
    20170121_124515.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20170118_163935.jpg
    20170118_163935.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 87
Isn't it in the car already? It could be just the talon part number and the same as eclipse. I'm not sure maybe ask John again, see if he remembers the talons having that number. Tell him it seems to be a 2ga talon trans and ask if theres any difference from the 2ga and 2gb auto awd talons trans.

New information found.
I was able to get the original transmission from the car. It also has the w4a33ev-s stamped into the side. However, it does have its vin numbers. It also has w4a32 written on the furthest passenger side. So I looked at this trans in the car and it also has w4a32 on it. So at least i have a new number to add to the list.
The question I have though is what differences exist between transfer cases?

Thanks

I took the pan off and checked all the solenoids and found that the red ground wire on the red wire solenoid was not tightened down to the valve body. On The inside of the transmission but it all looked very clean. I found no pieces of metal.

You never explained what the problem is, you just asked for help ID'ing the number stamped on the housing.
Here is the story.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago.

What I learned is the currently installed transmission is supposed to be from a 1997 Eagle Talon TsiAWD. The person who owned it before swapped the solenoids. He said when he first installed the Talon transmission it was stuck in first gear. Then he swapped over the solenoids and first was gone. The new problem is with the TCU installed it sometimes has reverse and park but in drive or any other gear it free revs. With it uninstalled it has reverse and drive. I bought a Tcu to swap in and see if it fixes it. However, I have both the original 99gsx tcu and the 97 eagle talon tcu. Both do exactly the same thing installed. I have not learned how to pull TCU code yet. So I really don't know where to look next.

Just an FYI, 97-99 is a different tranny and transfer case than 2ga. They must be paired properly (spline count). Part numbers are the same for eclipse/ talon. I'm not sure about TCUs, I would just make sure the TCU matches the tranny/tcase. You can take the car to AAMCO or Cotman and they'll pull the codes (but for the love of God don't get any work done there) so you can get an idea.

I'm sure this won't help, but for future reference, almost every tranny problem I've had on these cars was a result of low fluid, clogged filter, but especially a miscalibrated TPS. The PO of my 96 drove around for years with the tranny supposedly missing gears and super hard shifts. After chasing the problem for months, a 1/16" turn of the TPS fixed it.

I have a 97. Originally a gst auto. Found a clapped out 95 gsx AT and swapped.
I have the exact number stamped on mine. So, it would seem it's the code for a 2ga AWD A/T tranny.
*also: you may not be able to use a 2gb tcu with a 2ga tranny. This is just a GUESS. I do know for sure that a 2g FWD tcu will not work with a gsx. You may want to look at what type of tcu you have and grab a roadsurge shift box while you're at it. 1) It's a great product and 2) when installed, you completely bypass the tcu. Entirely. This would, in your case, be a troubleshooting tool as you can take the tcu out of the mix and see if the problems still persist.

*Planzero: I had no idea the TPS could cause so many shift problems in an A/T. Thanks for the info. Makes sense when ya think of it. TPS reports to ECU and ECU sends select signals to TCU, at least that's my theory LOL.

Well the so called original transmission is in my garage and has the very same number on the bottom. I will mess with the TPS sensor and see if it fixes the issue. But I want to pull the Tcu Codes Using a Multimeter Can anyone help me with that? I looked at plymouthlaser.com it has no write up for the 2G. Just the 1G or it's missing a descriptive photo for the 2G.

Also when checking ohms,do I set it to 20k or 200 on the ohms side?

Update! Checked Tps all is good. I pulled all TCU codes. Only codes found was from unhooking the solenoid pack while running.
Reset the TCU. It appears I have had all gears the whole time. What it is doing is when the car goes in any gear 1-3 it actually moves but at any rpm above idle it
will kick out of gear as if it is in neutral . With a quick flick of the key off-then-on gears come right back. I have no codes in the TCU I get an all clear.

I'm not sure where the issue is unless it is somehow the actual ECU or Kick Down servo? Any Input?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back