The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

what do you think about this masterpower turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxkid81

15+ Year Contributor
May 18, 2005
warsaw, Virginia
Please... don't buy into that garbage. GT45, that's a load garbage. Slapping on a big turbo is not going to giving you power. To go that high of caliber you need to modify your block and head first and get into fabrication to make the turbo fit. You will need a fuel system and tuning to support that turbo too. Overall it'd cost you like at least 5 grand to support the turbo along with a transmission rebuild.

However if you're still going to go that way, get the real thing, a GT42 could give 750whp and I'd also look into Borg Warner turbos.

let me list my mods them

block 1994 7 bolt with ross pistons,groden rods and stock crank

head ported and polished, bc 288 cams,bc spring and retainer kit

intake jm fab sheet metal intake

full race exhaust manifold t3

3 inch v band dp with 3 inch catback

fuel 1600cc injectors,aeromotive fuel pump,adj pressure regulator and big fuel line

eng management aem ems

tranny shep stage 4 with quartermaster twin disc
i think thats about all i am so close to finishing my car. but i run into some serious money issues thats why i am looking for cheaper turbos

i also did a little research and found that Yusuf Begic run a masterpower t70 into the 10s and put down 700awhp. heres a link A U R A R A C I N G . there is a video of him with devo tuning that car is fast.

Update your profile and if you trust Begic then there's nothing holding you back but let me remind you that running cheap $800 huge turbo at high psi you're very liable it could destroy your engine if somewhere were to go wrong.

i really wish i could spent like 1500-2k on a turbo.turst me i would love a gt42r but i have hit a rut so i am going to have to cheap out on a turbo.if you guys know of any other turbos in the 800-900 range that will make big power please let me know. i am also looking into the borg warner turbos

What's to stop you from hitting the junk yards and look for a good holset?

d

Word is the Mustang guys use those master power turbos (brasil) and have some success. The trick seems to be buying them from vendors that open them up, clean up and/or mod them, and then resell them. But of course once that's done, the price is back up to normal and you might as well just go garrett/BW. But, I have no personal experience with them to draw from.

What's to stop you from hitting the junk yards and look for a good holset?
Exactly.
full race exhaust manifold t3
Sell it. Then buy a divided T4 exhaust manifold similar to this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

but i run into some serious money issues thats why i am looking for cheaper turbos
Then you salvage or buy a used HX-52 from a junkyard for cheap:

Match both to either the Holset or the T4 flange pattern so that they mate correctly and you will then have a turbo system that should spool faster than anything else close to it performance-wise and have as much or more potential than a GT42R.

More info found here.

Thanks go to Slippi84 for the pics.

Word is the Mustang guys use those master power turbos (brasil) and have some success. The trick seems to be buying them from vendors that open them up, clean up and/or mod them, and then resell them. But of course once that's done, the price is back up to normal and you might as well just go garrett/BW. But, I have no personal experience with them to draw from.

Not arguing for them by any means, but I have seen a couple F-bodies on these Master Power turbos, locally, making +600rwhp and they seem to be holding together. Just some food for thought. :thumb:

what turbo do you have on it now? it says your using a t3 manifold but i see no turbo upgrade?

thats the problem i dont not have a turbo at this time

i called a few mustag shops that use the masterpower turbos. for the most part they seem to think they are good turbos. i just wish i could get a compressor map for that turbo i am looking at. i would like to know how much power i can make with it.

You just read his parts list. You're suggesting a junkyard semi truck turbo now.

You're not cheaping out buying a used holset. You're getting shafted by garrett if you buy their dinsaur gt wheel technology, that they have to run with a non-serviceable ball-bearing cernter housing just to get it to spool within reason.

Gsxkid81, you can get a NEW hx40 with a 7 blade compressor good for 67 lb/min for $800. Used $300-400. Indestructable, twinscroll, far wider map than a gt40, far better high boost efficiency, and spools 500rpms faster. A quality and complete rebuild is well under $200 if you could blow it up. As mentioned, the hx52 would be a great turbo if your looking at a gt42+ turbo. There's a few 2.0L cars spooling it pretty fast. It flows 92lb/min per the holset maps we have. An interesting thought would be an hx40 turbine mated to an hx50-55 compressor. The hx40 turbine wheel seams to flow well in a very small bolton bep housing (653whp recorded). So a larger stock twin scroll holset housing with a bigger hx5* series compressor should put you in the 700-750whp range. Getting both donor turbos used would be VERY affordable. I don't know all that may need to be machined for such a hybrid. But it's a thought.

It may be a little much for a faster spooling turbo that will reach 700whp. So a straight hx52 is 1/3 the cost of any garrett new. Used in the $300-$400 range. You really should get out of the t3 manifold with this power goal, since it really limits your options. The hx52 is a close fit to a t4 manifold (widening of the bolt holes is required and possibly minor port matching).

There are also BW turbos that will be about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a comparable garrett. BW 3 series turbos. Holset and borg-Warner have all the tech to out spool their garrett counterparts of the same flow at the compressor and turbine, and we don't have to eat the garrett name.

garrett : holset :: greddy : everyone else

well i want a bigger turbo than a hx 40 and i am not intrested in a used turbo sorry.i cant seem to find large precision turbo with a t3 exhaust housing for 900.

the masterpower turbo i am looking at has a 103.5mm exducer 76.5mm inducer with a .96ar t3 exhaust with 3inch vband. which i already have 3inch vband downpipe. the guy rob i talked with on the phone said that he would send the turbo shipped for 775 thats a huge turbo for 775.i think iam going to order one i will keep everyone updated and have lots of pics and dyno sheets. thanks for all the suggestions.

You can get the hx52 new. . . There is a an hx52 adapter (t3 or hx3* series to hx5* series) for $175.

If you're going to keep your exhaust manifold, then you're not going to find many options; and this master power turbo is likely the most affordable option for you.

. . .Interestingly, the turbo you want has a smaller turbine wheel than an hx40 turbine wheel. You'll never reach the potential of the compressor to which it is attached. . . The p-trim (64mm, 74mm) is good for 650-700whp. You can get that from an hx40 in a stock holset turbine housing. And there are t3 flanged twin scroll hx40 turbine housings out there on hx40 pro turbochargers. The p-trim will be had pressed to reach the bottem end of your goal, as with the hx40. I just saw a few for sale new recently. This turbine compressor combination is worse than a t3 t31 wheel mated to a 60-1 t4 wheel. The builder could have gone to a smaller wheel with less rotating mass and still push the limits of the turbine. This is just another turbo builder vomitting compressor potential and not telling the whole picture. T-76 compressor map:

The compressor flows less than an hx52 and the turbine wheel is smaller than an hx40 (which isn't practical for your hp range). You should know about both ends of the turbo not just the compressor. If you're going to limit yourself to the flow potential of under 700whp then why deal with the increased lag of a heavier compressor. With respect to what that turbo CAN do: the lag of a p-trim is UGLY compared to the hx40. You need a larger turbine to match the neccesary potential you need for a compressor. You've spent the time and money researching and upgrading the rest of your setup. Get a well balanced turbocharger that matches it.

where can i find the hx 40 with the t3 exhaust for 800?

Here holset super 40 at the bottem. They have them. But they seam now to be out of stock. I've seen them new on ebay. Again, this is probably not enough turbo for 750-850whp.

Is there a reason you don't want to sell your T3 manifold and step up to a divided T4?

Finding a turbo with a T3 turbine that supports T4 airflow will be pretty much impossible. If you expect GT42R performance, you should expect to need a turbo that is comparable in size to one. I'll reword what Matt already mentioned, the masterpower turbo in question won't quite be able to get you to your goal, although it would have as much or more lag as a turbo that could get you to it. Do you understand what we're trying to say? What are your other options right now? It seems to me that you're fighting the Holset HX-52 idea because of your T3 manifold. Tell me, what turbos are you seriously looking at that will reach your expectations and fit that flange pattern?

i dont want to sell my manifold because of the turnaround time to get another and i think i will have to come out of pocket a lil to get a new manifold. i know i should have gotten a t4 manifold instead. i do understand what you are saying about the turbos. but i do not understand this. if the hx40 can make 700whp with smaller compressor wheel and the same turbine wheel then why can the masterpower turbo make more power with a larger compressor wheel and the same turbine wheel as the hx40.

Yusuf Begic makes 700whp on a masterpower t3/t70. so maybe i should just get that turbo for 675.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I can't think of a better way to be completely honest. I don't want to sound condescending

I'm sorry to stir up a hornet's nest with my comment of just purchase a used holset. I think that you really need to stop and think realistically about the purpose of this vehicle. You are aiming to make 750-850HP but you are feeling like you are short on money so you can't get the turbo you want. What happens when you do reach that goal, make the first run, and break something. Will you have the money to fix your car? Don't forget to add in to your budget the 0h $h1t factor. I'd hate to see you dump so much money into a car that makes a couple of runs and then has to sit in your garage for a year. Some things that set off alarms to me:

1. Hell of a build up on your car.

2. Asking fairly basic questions about turbos

3. What happens when you realize that you have XXXHP to the wheels but you can't hook up for anything.

4. Do you have enough money for the rubber for this beast.

I worry that you haven't thought this completely through, you don't have a thorough and complete understanding of how your car works, or you are betting that once you get it put all together, it won't cost more money. I really think you have a hell of a car, but it might be in your best interests to spend less on a turbo, fall short of your goal for a year or two, save up your money for the little things. For all I know, you'll pull up to the track, run your first 1/4 and you'll be told that in order to run anymore, you'll need a full cage, suit, and helmet.

I hope I'm wrong to all of this and you have already/prepared for this. I'm just a pessimist and anticipate the worst case scenario.

d

thanks for your concern band3d.my car is ready for big power as well as i am.i do have a cage and safety equipment.i am almost %100 my car will brake at some point.its not my only car so i will be ok on that aspect.i completely understand how my car works.thats why i have spent so much time and money into buying nice parts and building the car myself.but my car has been off the road and track for to long and i want to go fast and race.the only thing left is a turbo. its easy to find a t3 turbo that will support 550whp but to find one that will support 750whp+ is a little bit harder.thats why i made this post because i thought i may have found that turbo.maybe you guys think there is a reliability issue with masterpower turbos or maybe you think the are not efficient.the funny this is when i asked some of the mustang guys they were complete opposite. they liked the masterpower turbos.and talked good about them.the holset turbos come with the same warranty as the masterpower turbos.i am still leaning towards the masterpower turbo.sorry

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back