The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

what causes camber wear? How can i fix it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm4lyfe12

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 8, 2010
Minooka, Illinois
my camber wear is horrific on these new tires. They are the right tires, i do have lowering springs that are yellow, i have no idea what brand they are and i dont know what struts i have. Any help?:confused:

When you lower a car the camber is changed, you need to get a camber kit.

I knew that, LOL how is it caused?

I'm not sure what you are asking. To me it sounded like you were asking why your car has negative camber which I answered by it being lowered. It also sounded like you were asking how to correct it and I said by a camber kit then you said you already knew that?

If you already knew all of that what do you need to know?

I meant to say that i knew it was from the lowering of my car. I didnt know that it was causeing negative camber and that was answer to my question :) sorry for the misunderstanding.

Camber wont wear out tires dramaticly. Even with aggressive camber by the time the insides of the tire contact is bald, the outside will be at like 15~20% left. About time for a new tire anyways. But if your tire is bald on the inside and you have 70~80% left on the outside, you my friend have a bad toe alignment. Imagine your feet being the wheels of the car, with your toes pointing strait forward is how it should be, maybe out by a LITTLE BIT if you want quick turn in. But it sounds like your alignment is as if your toes are pointing outwards, the car will still drive fairly strait, but it scrubs off the tire like no tomorrow. Get your car aligned correctly, camber doesn't effect tire wear as bad as people think.

Normal Chamber wear: .5~2.0 degrees
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Aggressive camber wear: 2.5+ degrees

Toe Wear:

You notice how its so bad to the point the tire separates but the side with no wear is still at 70%-ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
RRE to the rescue! I started typing a toe post, then saw y'all had posted.

If you think how the suspension pivots when you hit a bump or something, you understand how lowering will casue negative camber. A camber kit and a good alignment will get your suspension back in spec.

A little picture I drew up. But here is the science behind it, Not drawn to scale, but close enough As you lower the car, the control arms go from a droop to a neutral angle, "pushing" the lower part of the wheel out. Thus negative chamber. As far as toe, Your tie rod ends also travel through an arc as the car is lowered or raised and it changes your toe. The Tie rods are set at about a neutral 0* at stock ride height, as as you lower the car, the outbard ends point upwards and "pull" the rear of the tire in, thus toe out.

That first picture looks like toe wear on top of camber wear. Just my. 02¢ but ya alignment at least and recommend a camber kit.

With any amount of drop you will need a camber kit in the rear, (or at least some washers LOL) as they are not adjustable. With small amounts of drop in the front you may be able to get it back into spec without a camber kit, but it is not recommended.

When you lower a car the camber is changed, you need to get a camber kit.

Camber itself does not kill tires quickly, nor does it give the wear most call camber wear. When you lower a car, the wheels toe out causing them to scrub. This is what causes "camber wear" after lowering a car. The solution is to have the car realigned after any major suspension work.

Camber itself does not kill tires quickly, nor does it give the wear most call camber wear. When you lower a car, the wheels toe out causing them to scrub. This is what causes "camber wear" after lowering a car. The solution is to have the car realigned after any major suspension work.

Not entirely true, I could actually see my wheel's negative camber when I lowered my car for the first time. I had it aligned right away afterwords, but I still got camber wear. With any major drop, you will need a camber kit to correct the alignment.

Not entirely true, I could actually see my wheel's negative camber when I lowered my car for the first time. I had it aligned right away afterwords, but I still got camber wear. With any major drop, you will need a camber kit to correct the alignment.

I fully agree with you though, I was talking from the "I just lowered my car, why is it killing tires" mind set. Just like the first post was made in.

Toe in will cause outer tire wear. Toe out will cause inner wear. Same principles as above. GET AN ALIGNMENT! Geeze, why wont anyone on tuners take advice given to them, especially with 90% of the responses concurring with the solution. The OP always A-doesn't listen, B-argue and suspect another problem, and C-both.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back