What cause stiff brake pedal?

Posted by jumpfroggy, Feb 13, 2009
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. jumpfroggy

jumpfroggy Proven Member

Jamestown, Rhode_Island
    I'm just curious. I've noticed a huge difference in the feel of the brakes from car to car. I've noticed that recent/modern economy cars tend to have very light & jumpy brakes... easy to press a little bit and cause the car to screech to a halt. On my 95 Talon AWD (and on my previous 95 Talon TSI), I've noticed that the brakes are fine when I press slow/gently... but when I slam on them, there's a whole lot of resistance.

It reminds me of trying to fit fluid through a small hole... if you're going slow, it's fine. When the pressure builds, the hole is a bottle neck. I don't think this is abnormal stiffness from my brake (though I could be wrong), but I'm just curious:

Why do DSM brakes have a lot of stiffness when pressed hard/fast? Is it something that can be changed? I've been wondering about this for a long time, and now I just want to know why it happens.

Thanks all, can't wait till the weather stops freezing so I can fix that stinking wheel bearing hub (and brakes, and turbo, and...)

2. ClevelandDSM

ClevelandDSM Proven Member

Cleveland, Ohio
    Its just a chain reaction from the master \ lines \ calipers , all with resistence.

With no resistence = no stoping.

3. jumpfroggy

jumpfroggy Proven Member

Jamestown, Rhode_Island
    I'm assuming that most cars have master/line/calipers though... and the newer ones stop great with little resistance. What's the difference there? I'm just curious, I always wish my DSM had brakes like that.

4. juanpac0

juanpac0 Proven Member

San Francisco, California
    Variations in the brake boosters between cars would be my guess. Different brake sizes also call for different master cylinders.

5. crimsondragon

crimsondragon Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Piscataway, New_Jersey
    There's a lot of variables to this. It could depend on the master cylinder and slave cylinder port sizes or the brake lines, different piston sizes and amount, brake bias, etc etc.

6. UGOT8UP

UGOT8UP Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Dothan, Alabama
    Is there problem with your brakes being excessive hard pedal, or are you just comparing you brake feel to a new car?

If your pedal is very firm I would suggest to check out your brake booster.

7. jumpfroggy

jumpfroggy Proven Member

Jamestown, Rhode_Island
    It's not a problem right now, I'm just comparing my brake feel to a new car. I don't think it's the pads; if I press hard on the brake, I get resistance way before the brakes start to "take". On a new car, the pedal feel is easy whether I press hard or soft.

Again, under normal usage I don't even notice it. But when I jam on the brakes, it's definitely a lot harder than other cars. I just keep wondering what causes that. Is it the way our cars are designed, or are parts worn?

8. UGOT8UP

UGOT8UP Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Dothan, Alabama
    I'm guessing that you have a problem, I've never noticed that on my car, If you have access to a vacuum pump test the booster to make sure that it is not bad.