The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Welding center diff myself?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben-Stian

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 23, 2006
NORWAY, Europe
Hi,
I am going to get my center diff welded and would like to try doing it myself. I have read splines must be perfect aligned to avoid wobbling. Do you guys make a jig before welding, or how do you do it?
There are no shops in my country that are doing these cars, and I dont want to spend alot of money shipping it out of country to get it welded.

Thanks

Ok I did weld it myself and hope it is aligned and not warped:)

The car is not running yet... Will take some time to finish the conversion to auto and wiring the shift box. I am excited to see if my EFR 8374 can spool the converter, or if I have to ship it back to Precision for a restall...:)
I did not take any pictures, but I think/hopes the welds are strong enough...

I know the gears are supposed to be heated up before you weld them. They are also supposed to be cooled slowly afterwards. You also need some way to keep all of the parts aligned as you weld them. You might get lucky and it might work for a while, but that doesn't mean that it will be right. Here are some links to some threads that can better assist you.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/welding-a-center-diff-how-and-why.173481/

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/how-to-weld-center-diff-lots-of-pics.378854/

Thanks for the links. I have already welded it, so I hope it is all well:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back