The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Welded Manifold to Turbo ? Haha

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GSTowner

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2008
Huntersville, North_Carolina
I just bought a 95 GSX and this blown turbo was in the trunk. The guy said it kept coming loose and leaked so he welded it :nono: I figured I would post pics for your viewing pleasure :D. I'm scrapping the turbo but I'd like to save the manifold if it's not too much trouble. Do you think I could grind the welds off? I'm not gonna use it, I already have a Holset WH1C.

Attachments

• IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 349
To answer your question, yes, you can grind the welds off.

What turbo is that? IMO, I would just say unbolt the turbine housing and keep the CHRA and compressor. Junk the rest. The turbine housing is trash and i bet the manifold is too.

Some people have the best ideas!

You'd have more in trying to fix that shitty eBay manifold than what it would cost to buy a new one. Grinding the welds, removing the turbo, then getting the flange machined flat again...etc. Not worth it.

Try to sell the turbo and all to someone- let it be their problem. It's a Garrett T04B-something.

The weld job and thread placement in the custom fabrication section is priceless. :tease:

That custom fab job was fueled by anger and booze along with a "hey I gots a great idea!"

You can try to grind it off but my bet is it is pretty much junk. It's now just a decoration. You might be able to sell some of the turbo pieces for something or a partial core.

Lmao, Thanks for the replies. I knew u guys would get a kick out of seeing it! Yeah it's an ebay t3/t4 turbo with severe in and out shaft play. I'm not gonna waste my time, it's going in the scrap metal pile.

You gotta love it, I bet both mating surfaces weren't flat. Have them machined flat, nah just weld it up man it'll be faster.

i have a friend who welded a Honda hf manifold rite to a 14b, somehow 25k later the turbo d16 civic is still on the road with it set up like that haha.

Wont it still just leak through the bolt holes if the gasket is bad, meaning the weld wont help. Assuming of course that it came like in the pics with only 2 bolts.
Thats a good point and yes it probably leaks. It's sitting in my scrap metal pile now. Apparently his skills aren't limited to stick welding the turbo. Also in the box of parts was an upper intercooler pipe with the BOV JB welded to the flange, NO bolts :applause:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back