The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Weird noise when cranking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantom_19

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2007
curacao, South_America
Hi

I recently swapped my GS to GST with a full turbo engine. The harness I added some wires to the ECU. Car is on open headers as you can see in the video.Sound goes away once it started. The timing belt has a small streak due to a longer oil pan screw that has been fixed
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ekril3nvg3y9i66/20150515_100813.mp4?dl=0

When I crank the engine it makes a weird sound. Hard to explain. But I used another starter and it made the same noise.
Can you tell me what that is? The engine has oil. ACT flywheel with stock turbo clutch. ACT was working fine on my NT engine with no noise with the same starter. Starter is bolted securely to the manual gearbox.

thank you

when u swapped from GS to GST did u get a flywheel for the GST or just use the same one? i only ask because there might be slight variation in size on flywheels for each different set up.

Possible harmonic balancer separation or loose belt?
The harmonic balancer looks good. The only thing is that the accesory belt has a small tear. But it is tight and doesnt slip.

when u swapped from GS to GST did u get a flywheel for the GST or just use the same one? i only ask because there might be slight variation in size on flywheels for each different set up.
Yes I have a turbo flywheel. I was running a turbo gearbox after my NT one blew up. Connects fine to the starter without any grinds or teeth skipping.

Do you have the plate between the engine and transmission?

That is the only thing I do not have. I dont see the use of it anyways. Didnt order it.

Is it possible to just start the car without the belt to the crankshaft pulley. To make sure that its not that belt.
Also, when the car is hot it takes a while to start it..like 5 seconds of cranking. It has fuel pressure which is shown on my gauge. Fuel filter is new

That is the only thing I do not have. I dont see the use of it anyways. Didnt order it.

LOL, yea, the japanese engineers just said let's throw that in there for no reason.

Get the plate, take the trans back off, check out how the starter just shredded all the teeth on your flywheel, replace flywheel, install plate, re-install trans, try again.

MD008892 for 1g fwd.

The flywheel is different, 106 teeth for AWD (smaller) and 110 teeth for FWD (larger).
The starter plate that helps line up the starter with the flywheel is different too which maybe your problem - that sound sounds more like a misalignment of starter with flywheel. You need to have the correct starter plate. As Jerzm3 says: Without that plate, your starter will be sitting 1/8" into the flywheel. And it sounds exactly like that is happening to me.

Last edited:
The flywheel is different, 106 teeth for AWD (smaller) and 110 teeth for FWD (larger).
The starter plate that helps line up the starter with the flywheel is different too which maybe your problem - that sound sounds more like a misalignment of starter with flywheel.
Hmm. The gearbox I have is out of a 90 tsi. And the ACT flywheel is for a FWD turbo. I had no problems with this setup when my NT engine was in the car.
So can i put a 1mm spacer between the gearbox and the starter?

So can i put a 1mm spacer between the gearbox and the starter?
I've heard of people trying spacers, shims, and even elongating the bell housing holes to adjust the starter position - all so they didn't have to pull the tranny to put in the correct starter plate. Nearly all have regretted it with flywheel ring gear damage (which requires tranny pulling anyway).

I loosened the starter a little. Started the car. And it doesnt make that noise anymore. Looks like the base of the starter (the one that pushes the teeth forward is hitting the flywheel? I didnt loosen to check. Can I run the starter with a medium tight? It does not wiggle back n forth. I just cant tighten it hard like I used to

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back