The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G water under hatch plastics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RpVilleneuve

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 31, 2012
glen burnie, Maryland
Ok guys I search and haven't found anything specific to my issue. On my last 2 2g dsm's when I open the hatch after any rain water comes running out from under the plastics attached to the bottom side of the hatch (seems like both had the issue on the drivers side). So the first 2g was a talon with no spoiler... so there was holes....that was the issue there, so I thought. The new dsm is a 95 talon with full 2gb eclipse conversion including high rise wing. Everything was done professionally. Anyone have this issue? I have a very expensive paint job and rust would really suck. Shoot me some thoughts.

I also have a small leak from that pools up into the rear hatch plastics. When you lift the hatch up the water runs out from under it. I figured out that mine is slowly leaking from the back passenger side spoiler bolt. What I did to figure this out was that I removed the plastic cover on the rear hatch, got into my car and laid in the trunk area while I had someone else hold a garden hose running over all the area's where potential water can come in. As soon as the water ran close enough for a little bit of time around the right side of the spoiler I saw the dribble of water come right off the bolt. Yours could be coming from somewhere else, but that's a good way to figure it out. Good luck

Your leak is coming from a drain tube on either side of your hatch. To fix:

Open your hatch.
Remove all three panels inside the trunk. (about 6 screws per side)
On either side of the inside of the trunk you'll see drain hoses. One of them has somehow gotten pushed up into the body of the car and thus is not draining outside anymore. Either push it back down the hole, or replace it like I did.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The drain tubes can be unclogged with trimmer wire, but the water accumulating in the hatch is usually caused by the wiper grommet or spoiler holes, or even sometimes the glass seal. I usually smear some silicone around the grommet on the inside, and remove the spoiler and run a small bead over the stock "gasket"

I also had an issue not only with a spoiler bolt leaking, but ALSO the wiper shaft leaking.

upon buying my 98 eclipse it leaked EVERY WHERE!!!!!!!! not even kidding. it leaked from the gas cap housing and the tail lights not draining properly.....from up under the bumper were the sheet metal was tack welded together. i had to use a rubber adhesive plus plenty of trial and error. NOW come winter time again and every morning my windows are fogged up from the inside :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::beatentodeath: So something else has to be getting wet inside of the car. What yall think

Sunroof?

Heater core leaking?

Pull carpet and check the floor pans?

Window seals?

Access plates under backseat for fuel pump?

If u haven't found exactly where its leaking from try taking the hatch panel off...climb in the back of ur car with the hatch closed and have a friend spray a hose on the back of ur car until u can see where it is coming from......than ucan narrow down specifically where ita coming from..

Check to see if the carpet is damp. I've had a couple dsms leaking water through the rubber plugs on the floor pan. I just smeared some silicone adhesive around them. Also, its very common for condensation to make its way through the weatherstrip where the windows rest on the door jamb. Still haven't figured out how to fix it permanently. I've also had problems with my windshield fogging ever since it was "professionally" replaced.

I've got water getting in too. whenever it rains i open the hatch and it pours into my backseat I don't know if it's coming from the window that hatch seal or the holes from my wing I removed which I filled. I have to figure out what it is because I can't put my subwoofers in the back until I fix this leaking problem..HELP

I've got water getting in too. whenever it rains i open the hatch and it pours into my backseat I don't know if it's coming from the window that hatch seal or the holes from my wing I removed which I filled. I have to figure out what it is because I can't put my subwoofers in the back until I fix this leaking problem..HELP
So water doesn't get in until you open the hatch? Don't open the hatch when it's raining :D
Seriously, I've had leakage issues on every DSM I've owned. For the hatch, make sure the drain holes aren't clogged. Make sure the weatherstrip is sealing tight.
The easiest way to find the source is to pull ALL of the hatch and trunk plastic trim, then lie in there with a flashlight while someone sprays a hose over the hatch (or when it's raining, or like I do in a car wash). Once you locate the source, grab a tube of permatex black silicone adhesive sealant and go to town. 99% of the time I find it to be from the antenna, rear wiper, or spoiler holes.
One time I had a leak from the weatherstrip, and I couldn't source a good replacement so I just rubbed atf along the whole strip and it swelled it enough to stop the leak.

The hatch drain tubes are the cause of nearly every interior leak.

If you've ever been soaked by the sunroof slider cover being filled with water, it's the hatch drain tubes being clogged

If your cloth cover for the sunroof slider is missing or coming apart it is from water damage to your hatch drain tube being clogged

If your back seat has water on the floor the hatch drain tubes are clogged

If you go to check your spare tire and it's filled with water......

Open your hatch.
On either side of the inside of the trunk you'll see drain hoses. One of them has somehow gotten pushed up into the body of the car and thus is not draining outside anymore. Either push it back down the hole, or replace it like I did.

So water doesn't get in until you open the hatch? Don't open the hatch when it's raining :D
Seriously, I've had leakage issues on every DSM I've owned. For the hatch, make sure the drain holes aren't clogged. Make sure the weatherstrip is sealing tight.
The easiest way to find the source is to pull ALL of the hatch and trunk plastic trim, then lie in there with a flashlight while someone sprays a hose over the hatch (or when it's raining, or like I do in a car wash). Once you locate the source, grab a tube of permatex black silicone adhesive sealant and go to town. 99% of the time I find it to be from the antenna, rear wiper, or spoiler holes.
One time I had a leak from the weatherstrip, and I couldn't source a good replacement so I just rubbed atf along the whole strip and it swelled it enough to stop the leak.
Ok thanks I will go try that. Can u put art around the whole hatch or is that a sea
Ok ty I will try that. Now can i put atf around the hatch or is that a seal I need to replace n where can i get that?
Have to share dsmtuners my new tshirt..LOL..love it!!

Attachments

• 20151231_212712.jpg
    20151231_212712.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 277
You can find the weatherstrip at a junkyard or pay a buttload for a new one from Satan.
Atf can be used to swell rubber seals, but it is by no means a long term solution, and may actually be harmful to the rubber. I don't even know how long my fix lasted because the car was totaled a few months later.

You can find the weatherstrip at a junkyard or pay a buttload for a new one from Satan.
Atf can be used to swell rubber seals, but it is by no means a long term solution, and may actually be harmful to the rubber. I don't even know how long my fix lasted because the car was totaled a few months later.
No I'm not buying anything from Satan LOL I do search on ebay though buy most my Parts off eBay.. thanks for your message I am trying to get this fixed pretty soon all the rain we're getting in Missouri right now

Open your hatch.

Thanks for this! Hoses were clogged and just drained a ton of water from the spare tire compartment. Definitely found water behind the panels as well. Hopefully carpets behind front seats will stay dry now as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back