The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Water pipe suggestion with a short sob story

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFPryde

Proven Member
Feb 26, 2015
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Half venting half searching for a suggestion.

I'm in the process of a minor overhaul that is taking way to damn long. Quick rundown of my recent work: New FP manifold and turbine housing for a hopefully exhaust leak free setup. Swapped ebay IC that came with the ride for a Punishment racing kit (I'm an Auto, so it took some creativity). Replaced leaky ebay FPR for a decent AFPR from MAP, redid the lines from fuel rail to return. Redid my custom bracket for my aftermarket Trans cooler, and re ran the cooler lines. Finally, I had my waterpipe bung welded over because of the odd combination of parts I have.

The last part is what is causing me heartache. I am running a 7 Bolt, 1G block with a 2g 7bolt head. This was done after my complete engine rebuild last year (spun bearings), and I got a great price on a built block with machine work already done. The problem is that I deleted my oil cooler following my rebuild, and I had open water ports to deal with. One water port was dealt with, because the 1G 7bolt block did not have provisions for a water pipe coming from the block to the turbo. The second water port, the one coming off the waterpipe right next to the water pump (behind the alternator) had no where to go. My original, and terrible answer was to throw a vacuum cap on it and deal with it later. As you might imagine, i went through a few vacuum caps and subsequent voiding of half of my coolant several times. It was a really bad band aid. During this most recent overhaul, as mentioned above, I had a welder grind of the bung and weld a patch. After running the car around the block, I've discovered that the patch didn't hold, and the pipe is leaking water steadily.

This whole process has taken way longer than I wanted, and I need the car as a DD (I know, I know). Now I have to take half the bolted on shit back off, pull the waterpipe, and either re-weld, or find a water pipe with better provisions. More time and energy, and with school starting again, I have little of both. With all that said: does anybody know if there is a version of an appropriate water pipe for my setup? I'm gun shy about re-welding to have a similar issue.

Sorry for the rant. DSM Frustrations.

I cannot tell from your post whether you are still water-cooling the turbo, but it sounds like maybe not. In any case, here are the 1G options available for a water pipe. None of these can be used with the 2G thermostat housing but, fortunately, the 1G thermostat housing bolts up to a 2G head.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you are still using the 2G thermostat housing, you are stuck with the 2G pipe. Technically there is an option out there for a 2G 4G63 non-turbo car sold across the pond, but I have not seen one nor do I know how to get ahold of one. The 2G water pipe can be pictured, here, amongst other places: 2G Talon Track Car

Your welder should be ashamed btw.

Agreed. I welded the current pipe on my car, never had a leak from it, and that was done with a crappy 90amp HF flux core welder. Since then, I've amassed a collection of 1g NT water pipes, so no more welding for me, but I digress.

I say go with what @19Eclipse90 said, and bolt on a 1g thermostat housing, with a 90 turbo/NT water pipe. Fix it once and be done with it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back