The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Water line position

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsmdaniel18

Probationary Member
Jun 12, 2018
West Valley City, Utah
I’m installing a new 16g turbo but I’m wondering about the position of the water lines and how they go on the turbo I know the feed line comes from the block and the return goes to the water pipe I’m only wondering if the feed goes to the back of the turbo or the front?

It doesn't matter, I have a completely different factory coolant setup in my 98 auto. My water pipe is completely different

Factory 2g
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My wierd setup that hasn't been explained yet.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, I have a completely different factory coolant setup in my 98 auto. My water pipe is completely different

Factory 2g

My wierd setup that hasn't been explained yet.

So I wouldn’t have a problem If I were to run them however?

Who says you have to run coolant through a turbo?

Coolant is used to stabilize the temperature of the turbo, not to necessarily lower the temperature of it.

When you think about it, it's pretty redundant. The oil cooler is the lowest point on the engine and it directly feeds the turbo the coldest oil in the system. If it was important the oil cooler would also feed the coolant right to the turbo, but it doesn't.

I’m installing a new 16g turbo but I’m wondering about the position of the water lines and how they go on the turbo I know the feed line comes from the block and the return goes to the water pipe I’m only wondering if the feed goes to the back of the turbo or the front?
Truly doesn't matter as long as one line connects to a cold source (water pipe, block) and the other connects to a hot source (upper rad hose area, thermostat housing) so water can continue to flow after the key is turned off. That's the entire reason coolant is in place...for people that aren't familiar with turbocharged vehicles and may turn the car off without allowing ample cooldown time.

I'm not deeply familiar with the center housing on MHI turbos, but some turbos have a siphoning feature to allow coolant to continue flow through the bearing housing after a hot shutdown to avoid oil coking. My advise would be to run the stock routing just in case MHI has a similar architecture.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back