wastegate solenoid? where do the vacuum hoses go?

Posted by XATgsx, May 24, 2003
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. XATgsx

XATgsx Proven Member

, FloridaUS
    I just recently got my car back from the shop and I guess they don't know WTF their doing. Anyway I have a 95 GSX and it looks like the wastegate solenoid is not hooked up at all. It has two vacuum hose hook ups one right above the other. There is only one hose on it and the other end of that hose is just hangingdown. Then from the wastegate actuater there is a vacuum T, one end going to the intake tube and the other under the turbo or into it. Can someone tell me where the v.hoses go from the wastegate solenoid? :confused:
  2. Coldandafraid

Coldandafraid Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
    this is original

Attached Files:

3. XATgsx

XATgsx Proven Member

, FloridaUS
    Thanks for the info. And to test the solenoid you would hook the vacuum pump to the bottom one and see if it holds pressure at idle, correct?
  4. Coldandafraid

DSM Profiles:
    Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
    hmm... dont know about that one. Well... actually, no. You do want the solenoid open during regular driving. It is only a failsafe in case you start making too much boost, then it closes and opens the wastegate sooner.

However, you are better off to install a boost gauge, and an MBC and forget about the BCS all together.
  5. Prowler

Prowler Proven Member

, MontanaUS
    So if they solenoid had a bend in the middle, it would affect mid boost, like lugging the car a little bit?
  6. Coldandafraid

DSM Profiles:
    Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
    cant bend the solenoid... but if you mean a bend in a vac hose. No, the only thing that would do would give you more boost, as the boost pressure can no longer be bled off.
  7. Prowler

Prowler Proven Member

, MontanaUS
    So what else could cause mid turbo lag?
  8. XATgsx

XATgsx Proven Member

, FloridaUS
    ok, so I hooked up the solenoid and checked it and it won't hold vacuum. So i just bypassed it for now until I get a new one or something. Could this do any harm, running it with out the solenoid? Also this vacuum hose all the to the left on the intake manifold keeps popping off and causing it to idle high? Is it because the solenoid isn't in there or could this be something else.