The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Wastegate binding

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacolu3

Proven Member
Jan 31, 2015
Lake Grove, New_York
Haven't started my car in a while so decided to start it today. Started right up but noticed that it sounded louder than I remembered. Looked under the hood and saw exhaust coming out of my open o2 housing.
So I popped off the arm and tried to manually open and close the wastegate. Sometimes it would close all the way and other times it wouldn't. I tried pushing on the flapper and pulling on the flapper while I closed it but it didn't seem like one way was better than the other.
I'm running an fp hta 68 with an internal wastegate and a stm o2 housing.
Is there something I can do to fix this or is it just better to go to an external wastegate?
It's just weird because I can manually open and close it 10 times without a problem and then sometimes it binds and stays open just a hair.

Thanks
Brian

An external wastegate is almost always better. So it would never hurt to go that route. Is the wastegate arm that you have adjustable? If it is you might just need to put a little more pre-load on it to hold it shut.

If it is not adjustable, shims can be added to the wastegate actuator where it mounts to the housing. This can help add a little more tension to the flapper and help keep it shut. Just don't over do it. A washer or two should be suffice.

It still would not be a bad idea to pull off the 02 housing and see if there are any cracks in the turbine housing or the flapper and just inspect it in general since you are having issues. I remember seeing a thread a while back where someone had the same issue. If I can find it I will post it.

Last edited:
An external wastegate is almost always better. So it would never hurt to go that route. Is the wastegate arm that you have adjustable? If it is you might just need to put a little more pre-load on it to hold it shut. If that is not the case then you might want to just pull off the 02 housing and see where the hang up is. It could be that the flapper or the turbine housing has a crack.

The arm is adjustable and I had the preload as tight as I could get it. The problem is the flapper sticks with or without the arm attached.
Fwiw the turbo has probably less than 1000 miles on it

I pulled the turbo off today and with the o2 housing off I couldn't get the flapper to bind. Not really sure why it was binding. I decided to just remove the internal and go external off the o2 housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back