The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

VR4 RS Engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EG Hatch

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2009
Austin, Texas
I recently went to sell some of my stock cams pulled from the engine in my talon, and I found that the cams are marked R1 for ex and R2 for int. The jdm hla regulator is present in the head, and when I investigated starter issues I found that it had a JDM flywheel. I found a long lost receipt in the car from 10 years ago showing a JDM longblock install by FP here in TX. The engine uses 1990 sensors and has a factory external oil cooler.

Can someone help me to determine what car this engine came out of and whether or not it is even a factory turbo block? As some research indicates this may be a hyundai engine, or possibly a vr4?

Any critical identifying features that Im missing here aside from tearing into the block?

Most of them have a provision for a knock sensor. When people use non turbo short blocks they usually at least screw in the knock sensor.

If it's just 63d its non turbo. But the ones with the 63dt marking have a t that's much bigger than the 63d lettering, and sometimes hard to see.

Yes the rods and crank are the same. The only issue is the weaker ringlands in the Pistons. You can run plenty of power through them, but any detonation and they crack.

i beat the dog snot out of a n/a 1.6L i put all my turbo crap on..... it finally got removed from the car when a pinhole radiator leak caused it to warp the head..... yes, dumb mistake, i know.

Fun fact: n/a 1.6L have the holes for oil squirters plugged with bolts/copper washers from the mitsu factory. I think they made all of those blocks turbo blocks and then plugged the oil squirters in the ones that went n/a. Super easy to make this a "turbo" block.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back