The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

VHT flameproof ceramic paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obviously it's purely for cosmetics, but I managed good results with the stuff. I did however have the tools to prep it 100%.

I sandblasted/cleaned it all up, (this is the critical part) primed it, and then followed the instructions for spraying and heat cycling. Baked it in my powdercoating oven, and it still looks like this almost a year later.

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 450
  • Edited engine 1.jpg
    Edited engine 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 610
I have used it a few times. Lat one I did was my o2 housing in the spyder. It has been almost a year and still holding up great. Sand blasted the housing. I use the grill to bake it on no smoke or smell in the house that way.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Obviously it's purely for cosmetics, but I managed good results with the stuff. I did however have the tools to prep it 100%.

I sandblasted/cleaned it all up, (this is the critical part) primed it, and then followed the instructions for spraying and heat cycling. Baked it in my powdercoating oven, and it still looks like this almost a year later.

Damn, that looks really good. The second pic is after a year??

Damn, that looks really good. The second pic is after a year??

Oh sorry, I can see how that was misleading. That was right when I put it all together. It still looked pretty darn good when I sold it. A few little spots where the chain scraped it when I eventually pulled the motor, but other than that it still looked good.

Here's mine .. Can't believe you guys are actually using your kitchen ranges to bake there things. And what are you using to kick it up a notch .. oregano?

Thanks! I used a wire wheel to get rid of the rust, carb cleaner to degrease, then used the VHT ceramic primer, lastly black ceramic. I'm pretty happy with the results, but hoping it'll stay that way. It hasn't been cured yet that's why I started looking on the forum to see what others were doing..

Just did another turbo housing. Everything that i have done over the last few years is looking good still. Just have to avoid touching/scratching it. I sandblast then cure in my powder coating oven.

Wish I had a powder coating oven!!

Was just thinking about this and reading how everyone says it scratches and loves finger prints, has anyone done a high temp layer of clear over the ceramic?

I apply the VHT without the primer. I have heard that some people have had problems when using the primer followed by VHT so I won't take a chance especially since I am getting great results without it.

As far as preparation goes, I use a wire brush for the areas that I can reach and then brake clean on the rest. Works perfect every time and still holding up. It only seems to come off if I scratch the crap out of it. I tried scraping it off my EM after baking it just for the heck of it and couldn't!

I was wondering if anyone ever got around to using an infrared thermometer to do before and after temperature results with the stuff.

I contacted VHT directly to ask them if the ceramic did lower the temps and they claim it does. There is no information that I could find on the internet indicating that it actually does or does not.

Not sure that I believe VHT's claim, but not sure that I'd believe someone who wants your money to powdercoat either.

I'd imagine that the truth about whether it actually lowers temps is somewhere in the middle.

I'd like to see some independent testing.

Here's mine .. Can't believe you guys are actually using your kitchen ranges to bake there things.

I painted a valve cover with high temp paint once and stuck it in the kitchen oven after it dried. Let's just say I'm never going to do that again; the fumes were terrible.

Next time I need to cure something like that, I'm going to use the barbeque grill :)

I had to pull my turbo out to fix an oil leak, so I'm going to give this a shot on my exhaust manifold. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

I'm going to do a light coat of VHT High temp primer, then a couple coats of the VHT high temp paint. I'm going to wait 12 hours, then bake it (on my grill outside).

I painted a valve cover with high temp paint once and stuck it in the kitchen oven after it dried. Let's just say I'm never going to do that again; the fumes were terrible.

Next time I need to cure something like that, I'm going to use the barbeque grill :)

I may try the BBQ grill idea as well. It won't get nearly as hot as what's suggested by the manufacturer (around 600 deg.) But at least it can be heat cycled 3 times as stated. Then it might actually be cooked enough not to get ruined in the install process. I'll post up some results if I do it.

I had to pull my turbo out to fix an oil leak, so I'm going to give this a shot on my exhaust manifold. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

I'm going to do a light coat of VHT High temp primer, then a couple coats of the VHT high temp paint. I'm going to wait 12 hours, then bake it (on my grill outside).

If you can, take temp. readings before and after so we can put to rest some of our uncertainties with the manufacturer's claims!

Lets see a final shot of the fp mani Turtlebain and how you cured it whenever its done. Im still debating saving coin with this option or ceramic coating for big $$

It's definitely a good option for the money. I decided not to cure until it's on the vehicle just for lack of a good way to do it. I read other forums that say not To use the BBQ because it'll ruin it. I don't want to take the chance.

It's hardened enough now that I won't be concerned screwing unit up in the re installation process.

Got mine painted and started doing the recommended heat cycles on the car.

I really like this. Let us know how it holds up.

I really like this. Let us know how it holds up.

So far so good. I'm going to throw my Turbo Performance Blanket back on in about a week. I've taken a few videos, and I'm going to take them about every 3 months or so for at least a year. I found lots of videos on youtube about this paint, but none that had any type of long term review.

attachment.php

So far so good. I'm going to throw my Turbo Performance Blanket back on in about a week. I've taken a few videos, and I'm going to take them about every 3 months or so for at least a year. I found lots of videos on youtube about this paint, but none that had any type of long term review.

attachment.php

Great idea. I have seen plenty of youtube reviews for it as well, but nothing conclusive or inconclusive as to whether or not it lowers temps. Hard to believe that there is little or no data out there.

I did my FP manifold about 2 weeks ago. Didnt use primer. Did clean it beforehand.
Sprayed around 3-4 coats while on the car and let it dry for 4 days before doing the curing process as directed on the can.
lasted about a week before it started to flake off and now it looks shite.
costs $25aud over here and was a waste of money in my honest opinion.

ive used the stuff on my o2 housing heat shields and it worked great for 5000+ miles. did a second time and am at 10000 strong. i would recommend it for heat shields at least

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back