The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

VHT flameproof ceramic paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I sand blasted the manifold but I'm afraid it will flake off when it gets red hot..But i don't want to spend the extra cash and get it professionally coated.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend used the VHT on his tubular and it wore off quickly. Ive tried the VHT on my cast hot parts several times, using different methods each time, and the paint failed. I sent my turbine housing, manifold and O2 housing to FFWD to be coated. You can look it up on their site. They coat the inside and outside of the parts, which keeps the heat in the engine bay down, and it looks great too! Several members on this site have had this done and have posted pictures and reviews if anyone wants to check it out. Proper way to do it, in my opinion...

it does work but you have to bake it per the instructions on the can. i did my o2 housing, it came out great. years ago when i was a dumb noob, i did it to my exhaust mani and didnt bake it, and it burned right off.

Planning on doing this to my 2g ported mani, did you guys just bake it in your stove/oven? No one get sick or anything? Lol and it's well worth It for $10 as stated. Worst case you get some painting experience out of it. ;)

I used that stuff and it cooked off after a spirited drive. I had a pretty bad tune on it so Im sure that had something to do with it. The manifold was glowing red and turned white after it cooled down.

A little over the 2000 degree rating

If you can get a real coating done for 30 bucks, you should get everything coated...

If I could get a bunch of stuff coated for 30 bux I would be all over it. But unfortunatly the prices I have been quoted, are not 30 for manifold coating.

Baking mine in the oven tonight and then also baking it on the car when i get it back together. I figure what the hell. I sand blasted the manifold and sanded it with 100 then 380. Painted it in two lite coats 10min apart and one heavy coat per directions. I still don’t have much faith but lets try it.

Baking mine in the oven tonight and then also baking it on the car when i get it back together. I figure what the hell. I sand blasted the manifold and sanded it with 100 then 380. Painted it in two lite coats 10min apart and one heavy coat per directions. I still don’t have much faith but lets try it.

so how did this work out for you?

Any updates? How is this stuff holding up for you guys? I am thinking of trying it out tonight then if it doesn't work get it ceramic coated.

I did it pretty heavy on my old manifold and when I sold that it still looked ok.It's gonna look more glossy before you heat treat it.Then the gloss tuns into matte finish.

My new manifold I used some different hi temp stuff,and that only lasted about a year.Yep I did it last summer,so a year.

But for 10 bux,you can't beat it.

Used it on my valve cover to cover up some old oil stains. It works great, and is very durable, but bubbles easily if you don't let it dry long enough. If you do a good job with it, it'll save you a ton of money though.

Cool. Ended up spraying my thermostat housing and exhaust manifold with the stuff I linked. I'm letting it dry all day today while i'm at work. Then tonight i'll put it in the oven to cure. My oven only goes to 500°, directions on the can say 600°, so i'm going to bake at 500° for 40 mins. instead of 30 at 600° to compensate then will throw it on the car to idle for 20 mins ( I believe idle is around 600°) then cool.

Debating if I should also do the intake manifold or leave it stock. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 2013-08-21_23.40.00.jpg
    2013-08-21_23.40.00.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 179
I would not of done the t-stat parts. That will look like shit the first time coolant spills on it. There is so little ceramic in the pint that it doesn't work as a heat barrier. But more as a rust prohibitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it just cause. This stuff scared the shit out of me when I was baking it. On the 400° bake for 30 mins it started smoking really bad, and being the oven is in my kitchen I didn't want to smoke up the whole house so I didn't let it bake at the last step. I will be doing the last step once it's on the car per the instructions.

I used it on my 2g Exhaust Manifold. I put it in my old microwave with baking function. I also did the same with my O2 housing, EWG, and dump. Has been great for a year now.

I've had mine done for over a year on my FTP manifold and still looks great :hellyeah:
Lighted up slightly but still looks good and I did no prep work
I did use the entire can tho LOL, like 7-8 coats :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back