The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Valve cover torque sequence

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasian

Probationary Member
Jul 31, 2004
miami, Florida
I tried searching but could only find a torque sequence for the head. I'm trying to help a friend out by changing her valve cover gasket. She has a 2nd gen non turbo car.

Can someone tell me the correct sequence to torque down the valve cover? I was told to tighten the outside bolts first. Then the middle. Does this sound correct?

TIA

On a 420A there is a special sequence.

Install the cylinder head cover assembly to the head and tighten fasteners in sequence top center, bottom center, middle left, middle right, top left, bottom left, top right, bottom right.

Tighten all fasteners according to the 3-step torque method.
(1) Tighten to 4.5 Nm (3.3 ft lbs.).
(2) Tighten to 9.0 Nm (6.6 ft lbs.).
(3) Tighten to 12 Nm (6.9 ft lbs.).

So first tighten all the bolts in order to 3.3, then all the bolts to 6.6, then finish off setting all to 6.9 ft lbs

Thanks for the info.

Just a note, i think the NM to Ft'Lbs conversion is wrong according to the conversion calculators i've looked at. Thanks again for the info. This helps alot.

blasian said:
Just a note, i think the NM to Ft'Lbs conversion is wrong according to the conversion calculators i've looked at.
Perhaps, I just cut and pasted from the manual and didn't check them.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back