The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

valve cover gasket stuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkhan145

Probationary Member
Aug 6, 2003
East Granby, Connecticut
I am trying to replace my valve cover gasket, but it seems to have melted to the valve cover side. I can't for the life of me get it off. I've tried some gasket remover I got from Autozone, but it cant get into the groove and I can't clean it out completely. Is there any other solvent or maybe a drill attachment that might be able to get in there and get it out? Thanks a lot.

Have you tried just using a putty knife and scrapping it off. Or even a utility knife to get in the cracks. Good luck!!

Acetone.

Just don't get it on the top, or the paint will come right off, too.

thanks a lot for the info. Acetone did the trick and with a putty knife it worked out. Much appreciated guys!

Just for search purposes, You can also use a rubber mallet. I learnt this the hard way, but i wasnt stupid about it. I used a screwdriver to VERY GENTLY pry it off for about 45 minutes till it actually came off, with the result of only 2 minor scratches on the outside of the valve cover gasket. VERY lucky.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back