1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages all week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

valve cover gasket stuck

Posted by bkhan145, Jan 17, 2004
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. bkhan145

bkhan145 Proven Member

East Granby, Connecticut
    I am trying to replace my valve cover gasket, but it seems to have melted to the valve cover side. I can't for the life of me get it off. I've tried some gasket remover I got from Autozone, but it cant get into the groove and I can't clean it out completely. Is there any other solvent or maybe a drill attachment that might be able to get in there and get it out? Thanks a lot.
  2. luv4turbos

luv4turbos Proven Member

Argos, Indiana
    Have you tried just using a putty knife and scrapping it off. Or even a utility knife to get in the cracks. Good luck!!
  3. DevilSperm

DevilSperm Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Holdrege, Nebraska
    have it hot tanked, then the gasket will just peel off...if its still there even :p then you can polish it up :)
  4. psychlow

psychlow Proven Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Acetone.

Just don't get it on the top, or the paint will come right off, too.
  5. bkhan145

bkhan145 Proven Member

East Granby, Connecticut
    thanks a lot for the info. Acetone did the trick and with a putty knife it worked out. Much appreciated guys!
  6. MyRidzPhucked

MyRidzPhucked Proven Member

, QuebecCanada
    Just for search purposes, You can also use a rubber mallet. I learnt this the hard way, but i wasnt stupid about it. I used a screwdriver to VERY GENTLY pry it off for about 45 minutes till it actually came off, with the result of only 2 minor scratches on the outside of the valve cover gasket. VERY lucky.