The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Valve cover difference

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon2gbuyer

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2009
Aston, Pennsylvania
Ok, so my noob question of the day is this... I have noticed on most cars the valve cover is something along the lines of DOHC 2000, and some others are DOHC 16 Valve. Is this just a different type of valve cover? or is it one of the differences between 6 and 7 bolt engines? :hmm:

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,476
  • Valvecover.jpg
    Valvecover.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 4,631
I think the difference comes from the fact not all 4g63 motors were put in Mitsubishis.

Most VCs say "Mitsubishi DOHC 16 valve" but for the cars that weren't Mitsu, like Plymouth and Eagle, 'Mitsubishi' is omitted and replaced with "16 valve" and "DOHC 2000" takes up the rest of the space. Same with the Hyundai VCs, although they take slightly different bolts.

I think the wording is all more for aesthetics.

There is also the Hyundai 4G63 valve cover that will work on DSM's. All they say is DOHC 16 valve across the bottom (no Hyundai font on cover), with the 16 valve portion font almost as big as the DOHC portion. But be aware if you use the Hyundai 4G63 valve cover you will have to use longer bolts as the cover has a thicker step where the bolts go through.

its a 2000cc dohc 16 valve. so for the valve covers i believe the different covers are just reppen different aspects of the engine. possibly like kreez says with the different brands eagle ect... i beleive the only ways to tell the differnce between a 6 bolt and 7 bold from the outside is the hump or dip on the oil pan.

It should also be noted that there are at least two types of Hyundai 4G63 valve covers. One actually has Hyundai written on top of it and pretty much identical to the standard VC found on our cars.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The black Hyundai VC that just have dohc 16 valve are thicker, use a stud mounting system instead of bolts, they use different gaskets because they use studs, have a much stronger and different casting structure internally and have slightly different baffling.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should also be noted that there are at least two types of Hyundai 4G63 valve covers. One actually has Hyundai written on top of it and pretty much identical to the standard VC found on our cars.

The black Hyundai VC that just have dohc 16 valve are thicker, use a stud mounting system instead of bolts, they use different gaskets because they use studs, have a much stronger and different casting structure internally and have slightly different baffling.

So would these Hyundai VCs be better with the different baffles? What do the baffles actually do anyway?

So would these Hyundai VCs be better with the different baffles? What do the baffles actually do anyway?

No there are not really any better. I actually think standard Mitsu Vc are just a bit better. The bafffle are there to help control the oil in the head and help to keep it from puking out into your intake or catch cans.

The Hyundai Vc that just says DOHC is a lot stronger than the standard Mitsu units.

Kevin

Here's one without Hyundai, where the Eagle badge is its normally blank there. I just added a badge for my own flavor since its in a Eagle Summit Wagon.
FYI, I installed my own baffle off a 4G63T valve cover onto the powder coated Hyundai unit using rivets since it did not have a baffle installed back on the valve cover after power coating.
Yes, thats a distributor stuffed into a 4G63T dohc head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the difference comes from the fact not all 4g63 motors were put in Mitsubishis.

Most VCs say "Mitsubishi DOHC 16 valve" but for the cars that weren't Mitsu, like Plymouth and Eagle, 'Mitsubishi' is omitted and replaced with "16 valve" and "DOHC 2000" takes up the rest of the space. Same with the Hyundai VCs, although they take slightly different bolts.

I think the wording is all more for aesthetics.

yup!

Colts are not Mitsubishis and they have the valve covers that say Mitsubishi.

Most VCs say "Mitsubishi DOHC 16 valve" but for the cars that weren't Mitsu, like Plymouth and Eagle, 'Mitsubishi' is omitted and replaced with "16 valve" and "DOHC 2000" takes up the rest of the space

Eclipse/Talons and Lasers all say 16 Valve none of them say Mitsubishi

The valve covers that say Mitsubishi or say Mitsubishi and have the Diamond Logo come from cars that were made in Japan like colt/Mirage hatch backs, Gallant VR-4, EVO I - III, RVRs Etc.. So they may not be "JDM" but they do seem to come from cars built in Japan.

WTF

Wow... That's the first distributor set up I have seen. That is rather ingenius. I am impressed. :D

Many older and NT 4g63's (and similar variants) were equipped with a dizzy. Including the 2g NT 4g63 over in Europe. Personally, I'll stick with my computer controlled ignition timing.

Off topic reply;

Many older and NT 4g63's (and similar variants) were equipped with a dizzy. Including the 2g NT 4g63 over in Europe. Personally, I'll stick with my computer controlled ignition timing.

My 4G64 runs a distributor from the factory. All I did was custom machine a 4G15 distributor end exactly like a DSM 1G CAS end. I changed out the firing ring from the 4G15 (with 2 triggers on the ring crank/cam) to my 4G64 firing ring (1 trigger for cam signal). The 4G15 distributor has both magnetic pick ups for the cam and crank signals in the distributor. So in essence the crank sensor hall effect isn't being used as nothing passes through it or registers now (my factory crank sensor is down by the crank pulley). All of the electrical plugs are exactly the same pins and location as my factory 4G64 distributor. Line up the proper position of the firing ring inside the distributor on #1 along with the proper timing of the engine and start her up.

So my factory computer is still controlling ignition timing with the new distributor in the 4G63 DOHC head. But now I can retard and advance the distributor like a 1G CAS and use a 4G63 DOHC turbo head instead of the 4G64 SOHC factory head and not have to do a complete ECU swap :thumb:

As far as I know there were no versions of the 4G63 DOHC motor in the USA with a distributor. 4G variants like the 4G64, but no plug and play distributors for the 4G63 DOHC in the USA. They all have to be machined to fit,

^ I retract my previous statement. That is pretty cool. LOL.

I knew you had to do something along those lines, but that is pretty slick. So it acts as the coils do and the computer sets off the points? Damn man, how long did you have to fiddle around with that to get it set right? Again... Impressive work. You are the only person I have seen do that.

Yep, me too. I got electricuted by a friend's 1st gen rx7 dizzy. Let's just say I couldn't feel my hand for awhile. Didn't feel too great.

...at least your pants stayed dry... last time I got hit with a distributor, my pants were not. :sosad: Those things pack a hell of a punch... and maybe I had enough beer that I just really needed to pee, but I wasn't expecting the car to make that happen prior to the time of my choosing. ROFL

Last edited:
I knew you had to do something along those lines, but that is pretty slick. So it acts as the coils do and the computer sets off the points? Damn man, how long did you have to fiddle around with that to get it set right? Again... Impressive work. You are the only person I have seen do that.

...at least your pants stayed dry... last time I got hit with a distributor, my pants were not. :sosad: Those things pack a hell of a punch... and maybe I had enough beer that I just really needed to pee, but I wasn't expecting the car to make that happen prior to the time of my choosing.

The ignition module, coil, cam sensor signal, everything is inside the distributor (even the crank sensor signal) on this model distributor, but I bypassed the crank sensor since mine is at the crank pulley. If you know how to machine and have access to a lathe, you could probably have the distributor done in 2 hours. I had my machined distributor done for about a year, I was going to do the DOHC swap and distributor last year but my little van got dented up pretty good by the F5 tornado that rolled through the subdivision I was taking shelter in. So I basically taught myself how to do bodywork, bought the painting supplies/tools, did the body work and painted my van. I had a "friend" lined up originally that did autobody work. He was returning the favor for me doing a turbo swap on his Cobalt SS/TC, but he backed out right at the start of the project. So basically I learned how to do it or pay someone (with money I didn't have).

Its a little dusty:

There are 2 other people I know of that have done a distributor into a 4G63 DOHC and 1 person who has been contacting me via email of how to do it. Originally got the idea from a guy who had a mitsubishi Mirage, who just had his distributor machined down to fit into a 4G63 DOHC head. I tried contacting him and he wouldn't answer emails or pm's. The other guy is a 7g galant owner who did the same thing I did but his distributor uses a seperate coil, his isn't built into the distributor.

Any more questions about the distributor or van (actually classified as a wagon), please pm me. I feel we are getting off topic to much from the OP, thanks.

I didn't know about this and just had a Hyundai vc powdercoated so I damn sure want to use it. What studs/gasket are needed to mount it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back