The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

V-band not fully clamping together

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GSTowner

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2008
Huntersville, North_Carolina
I have a Tial 44mm v-band wastegate with a DNP exhaust manifold. My issue is I can't get the v-band clamp to fully close. It's as tight as it will go and theres a small gap remaining. If I put the clamp on only 1 item then it closes all the way but when I combined the manifold and wastegate it will not close. I lightly sanded the manifold v-band flange and cleaned everything but it didn't make a difference. I searched for an answer and got mixed results. Some say it should close and some say there should be a small gap. I'm worried it won't seal with a gap. Please take a look at the pics and let me know. Thanks

Attachments

• tial vband gap 1.jpg
    tial vband gap 1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 773
  • tial vband gap 2.jpg
    tial vband gap 2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 588
Is the wastegate valve seat aka "fire ring" in there? Mine did the same when the wastegate valve seat was missing.
I think you found the heart of the problem. I looked up valve seat and I don't have one. I bought it used from the classified and this is my 1st external wastegate so I had no idea.

No worries. I ordered mine from "JPI Drift". They didn't have any in stock until I ordered mine so it was a LONG wait, but they might have some in now. Email them before if you choose them. Or better yet, email extreme PSI or JNZ and see if they can pull one from a display unit.

It will still work, but don't expect to build much boost until it's in.

update: I installed a brand new valve seat and the gap is still there. Just got the car running and I haven't noticed any leaks so I think it's all good. I'm pretty sure it would be leaking without the "fire ring"

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back