The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Using stock GSX banjo bolt on 3000GT VR4 brake caliper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kryndon

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2014
Bulgaria, Europe
Just as a disclaimer, I will soon be making a tech guide on how to do the 1st gen 3000GT VR-4 (4 piston) calipers and big rotors (313mm) on a 2G GSX. I am just stuck on the last piece of the puzzle and wanted to get it cleared up.

The 3000GT calipers use a short (225mm) flexible brake hose that has two male ends, each is an M10x1. The 2G GSX uses a two-piece flexible hose which is 285+270mm long, and has a banjo bolt on the end which screws into the dual piston caliper. Interestingly, the banjo bolt's size is also an M10x1.

However, on other similar guides and threads, people mention that you need to change the brake lines entirely and just go with braided lines.

My question is, if both ends are an M10, why wouldn't the GSX banjo bolt fit perfectly into the VR4 caliper hole?

Also here's two pics on how this setup would sit on a 2G, the only custom bit being the adapting bracket (currently cut from plastic to use for mock up).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Because its not just about the thread. It's a flare fitting. No. No. No. No. No.

Sorry, but I am not sure I understand what you mean exactly. The end of the GSX brake line is a simple banjo bolt assembly. Mostly so it can sit closer to the caliper at a 90 degree angle. The VR4 caliper has enough flat surface around the bolt hole to allow for the crush washers to make a good seal. The only slight problem will be that it will be sitting at a weird angle. You can see in this picture where it will screw into.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, which tends to happen often actually.

Sorry, but I am not sure I understand what you mean exactly. The end of the GSX brake line is a simple banjo bolt assembly. Mostly so it can sit closer to the caliper at a 90 degree angle. The VR4 caliper has enough flat surface around the bolt hole to allow for the crush washers to make a good seal. The only slight problem will be that it will be sitting at a weird angle. You can see in this picture where it will screw into.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, which tends to happen often actually.

If memory serves that line doesn't just screw in. Look inside the line. It should be a flare fitting.
And that is not enough flat. Banjo surface is machined. That caliper isn't.

If you look at this picture, the banjo bolt on the left is from a GSX caliper line, and the right hose is from the VR4. They look identical based on these pictures and based on the bolt sizes. With some PTFE tape and a good washer or two it should make a nice fit. But at this point it's still guessing a little bit.

NO. The banjo bolt, even if flared like, that doesn't seat on the flare. Honestly I don't even know why it's like that. The surface is not machined for a crush washer. Do NOT use teflon tape. Brake pressures aren't like 50 to 100psi. They are over 1000psi. This is not regular plumbing. Take your own advise if you want. You've been warned.

Gotcha. And this is why I wanted to ask here to get some more educated answers. I will keep looking at the options. It may be possible to just get a female to male adaptor to make this all fit the right way. Thanks for your info; I will update this soon when I see which option would be best.

Just buy new front brake lines for a 1g dsm. The front short piece that bolts to the caliper to replace the banjo part. It's like $20 shipped on rock auto. Works just fine.

::EDIT::

Now that I think about it, I actually converted to 1g brake lines with . Its been a while since I did it.

Last edited:
Just buy new front brake lines for a 1g dsm. The front short piece that bolts to the caliper to replace the banjo part. It's like $20 shipped on rock auto. Works just fine.

::EDIT::

Now that I think about it, I actually converted to 1g brake lines with . Its been a while since I did it.

For a 1G the brake lines work without a problem as they are the same as the VR4 ones. However on a 2G there is a single long piece with a slot in the middle for where it gets fixed to the knuckle bracket (seen in the pic).

I am not 100% sure but I don't think this entire line can be separated there in the middle. Thus I won't be able to replace just the short bit that leads to the caliper. I may be wrong but just based on the picture (and CAPS) it is listed as a single piece, part number MR129845.

Like I said in my edit, I converted to 1g lines. Buy the 2 piece lines and just connect them together to make one long line. Install on the caliper first(hard line last.) Thats all you have to do.

I didn't manage to get this done as soon as I thought as it wasn't so urgent, but hopefully in the next few weeks I will have everything bolted up. I went and had entirely new brake lines made for 8 bucks total. Basically the stock 2G DSM front brake hose is 275mm + 280mm long, one end being a banjo bolt end. I just asked the shop to make a single long line (about 570mm) and have the banjo end replaced with a flared end so it screws in nicely to the 4 pot calipers. I will post up pictures when everything is assembled and my impressions. Honestly it would also be best to just bolt on a 3G brake master to get even more out of the VR4 calipers, but I can't find those at the moment.

I just purchased some 1g 3kgt vr4 calipers. Some brackets to make them bolt onto 2g 3kgt rotors. I will update with pictures of the install & specs of the wheels I will be attempting to put on. This has always been my budget build. So I opted for this.

I did some research & a guy on here stated something about 3kgt calipers destroying wheel bearings because they are a fixed piston? Has anyone experienced premature wheel bearing failure after the 3kgt upgrade?

Just as a disclaimer, I will soon be making a tech guide on how to do the 1st gen 3000GT VR-4 (4 piston) calipers and big rotors (313mm) on a 2G GSX. I am just stuck on the last piece of the puzzle and wanted to get it cleared up.

The 3000GT calipers use a short (225mm) flexible brake hose that has two male ends, each is an M10x1. The 2G GSX uses a two-piece flexible hose which is 285+270mm long, and has a banjo bolt on the end which screws into the dual piston caliper. Interestingly, the banjo bolt's size is also an M10x1.

However, on other similar guides and threads, people mention that you need to change the brake lines entirely and just go with braided lines.

My question is, if both ends are an M10, why wouldn't the GSX banjo bolt fit perfectly into the VR4 caliper hole?

Also here's two pics on how this setup would sit on a 2G, the only custom bit being the adapting bracket (currently cut from plastic to use for mock up).

I know this post is old but you still running this setup?

I know this post is old but you still running this setup?
Yep, still am. I made posted pics of the installation on my build sheet sometime ago. I also later installed 3kgt rear calipers with the 284mm disc but kept the stock 2g GSX master cylinder. One of the best upgrades and it was fairly budget-y.

Yep, still am. I made posted pics of the installation on my build sheet sometime ago. I also later installed 3kgt rear calipers with the 284mm disc but kept the stock 2g GSX master cylinder. One of the best upgrades and it was fairly budget-y.
Ok I see, im looking for the clearance you have whit the calipers on the Evo wheels, I see on your build thred, thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back