The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

upper window moldings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slo2gn

Proven Member
Apr 27, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Where do I Locate the molding both sides on mine are shot out now. I prefer to find them new is there a place that still sells them? thanks

Drip rails are no longer made so used it is. If you find a set new there like 300 now IF you find them. Gotta start making do with 2nd hand stuff im afraid

A good fix though is to plasti dip them. Looks very close to stock and is about a $5 fix. I did my 3 years ago. No issues so far.

What does everyone use for the ripped fabric looking stuff? On both of mine the felt(it think) looking stuff is rotten and gone on half of them and they are still there for the a pillar side of them. What would be an easy fix for it? Weatherstrip in between the rail and body maybe?

Yeah mine are like rotted crusty and I see metal through where the stripping woulda been

I concur. Those drip rails look fantastic. I've lucked out at junkyards and friends. Although I've only installed a few pairs of rails in my day I still never encountered this weather stripping DJ and slo2gn are talking about. Either all my DSMs had it eaten away or you guys just have some seriously dirty cracks in there!

I concur. Those drip rails look fantastic. I've lucked out at junkyards and friends. Although I've only installed a few pairs of rails in my day I still never encountered this weather stripping DJ and slo2gn are talking about. Either all my DSMs had it eaten away or you guys just have some seriously dirty cracks in there!

Nope, no dirty cracks here.

In this pic I took a piece of paper and slid it in between the rail and the roof. I then took a pick and grabbed the material in question out of the crack and brought it out up to where it is still attached to the rail so that you can see that it is on the rail and not anywhere else.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is what I want to replace when I do the rails.

That was originally just part of the drip rail that helped mold it to the body line of the car. Yours are so dry rotted that it is crumbling and coming off. It also looks like you or someone else already painted the chrome section black to cover it. Originally that part your peeling back was the same material that covered the entire drip rail.[DOUBLEPOST=1410273878][/DOUBLEPOST]This is from an old post that shows new vs old

Last edited:
Yeah the previous owned tried to paint them but did a horrible job at it. Just like the tint job that they did on the car.

What have you used to refill the gap in between the rail and the roof? I was thinking of something like a foam strip or something.

Is yours flush with the roof or is there a gap? I'm just trying to avoid having the gap there when I take the rest of it off and paint the rails.

That was originally just part of the drip rail that helped mold it to the body line of the car. Yours are so dry rotted that it is crumbling and coming off. It also looks like you or someone else already painted the chrome section black to cover it. Originally that part your peeling back was the same material that covered the entire drip rail.[DOUBLEPOST=1410273878][/DOUBLEPOST]This is from an old post that shows new vs old

Mine look just like the old one on both sides. Any place I can buy them other than a junkyard? Or any way to get them to look new?

Mine look just like the old one on both sides. Any place I can buy them other than a junkyard? Or any way to get them to look new?

They have been discontinued for many years so new is out of the question. Your best bet is to take them off and paint them or do as many others have and plastidip them. Or you could wrap them like in the previous post.

ok i see.. junk yard or find a way to make them look better thanks guys

This is one attempt I made to fix a pair I have laying around.

How are these holding up to weather? Is this just a faux carbon fiber layover/sticker? I'm intrigued. These look great.

I don't actually have these on my car. I was experimenting with some extras I had laying around to see if I could make some to sell, just haven't had time to really work on it. It is just Carbon fiber vinyl wrapped around the upper molding.

Those look pretty cool where did you get the vinyl wrap?

I lucked out and found some in really great shape at a wrecking yard. Mine looked like crap for the longest time and it always bothered me, so i was stoked to get good ones for like 20 bucks.... hahaha I also painted my wipers and the cover thing (LOL idk what its called) that the wipers sit on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back