The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2G upgrading stock alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_GSX01

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2011
La Junta, Colorado
Want to upgrade alternator in my 2g gsx the stock is 75amps correct? I have read you can use a stock galant alternator and it will bolt up and plug in with out modifications. I was wondering if someone can tell me what year i can find alternator on?

If you search i did a whole write up on this and even gives part numbers and websites to find it on! The search is there for a reason and the hard works been done for you! Use the search button please.

Last edited:
A 110amp 3000GT alternator fits with a Jay's racing relo kit (if you chop up the relo kit a little and use a spacer.)

Depends how bad you need more amps:D

An alternator from a 3G eclipse with the 2.4L engine should also work. They're rated at 90-95 amps stock (at least that's what I found doing various searches on the Advance Auto Parts website).

I've been running an 90amp alternator for years. I don't have a big stereo system, just a bunch of gauges and an AFC. I have a voltmeter wired directly to the battery, and the voltage would drop to as low as 12.5V sometimes at night, the lights would dim, and it seemed like the car wanted to die.

Yesterday, I added an 8 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery (fused, of course) and the difference is noticeable. The voltage is more stable and the car actually seems to run a lot better. Seems like a lot of people do the same with a 4 gauge wire, but unless you have a bunch of amps and capacitors, 8 gauge should do. I'm glad I went with the 8 gauge instead of 4, because the 8 gauge wire was hard enough to work with (as far as trying to route the wire through the engine bay following the stock harness).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back