The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Unrecoverable misfire 2g 6 bolt swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMNOB

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2016
Meridian, Idaho
First of all, I have searched and searched and my misfire issues seem to be more specific than I can find. I found a few posts/threads that have similar problems, but the threads just die...

Details:
-The misfire happens every time while cruising between 2.5k to 3k RPMs, but only while cruising. Not during WOT or any other fluctuation of throttle. I can prevent it from happening while cruising by fluctuating the throttle.
-It does NOT recover by sticking the clutch in and/or letting off the gas. I have to turn the car off and on for the misfire to go away.
-AFRs are perfect when misfire happens
-Tried two different 1g cas
-Timing was just done.
-New plugs
-Tested plug wires and getting great spark
-It is a 96+ ECU with a 2g v3 DSMLink.

Here is the kicker..
I was on AEM EMS v1 and did NOT have any issues with misfire... I just switched over to DSMlink and now I'm having misfire issues.
No, disabling misfire checks under the DTC tab will not solve my issue because it is a unrecoverable misfire.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated!

Whelp... To avoid another dead thread I just wanted to give an update.

I appreciate your guys patience with me. Unchecking the "cylinder misfire" under the DTC did the trick as far as I can tell.

I was told by a buddy that by unchecking it the car would still misfire but the ECU just wouldn't check for it. Is this true? Am I still misfiring?

Thanks again!

I was told by a buddy that by unchecking it the car would still misfire but the ECU just wouldn't check for it. Is this true? Am I still misfiring?
!

No, you are not actually misfiring.

The 1G CAS is not compatible with the 2G ECU's misfire detection circuitry. This shows up as FALSE misfires. When the 2G ECU detects FALSE misfires, it will turn off the injector on the cylinder that it thinks is misfiring the most. This will cause real misfires. With misfire detection disabled, the ECU will no longer check for misfires (real or FALSE).

If you were really misfiring, it would show up as a drivability problem. You should feel the misfires while driving. Real misfires will also show up as lean spikes on your Front O2 and/or wideband.

Jim

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back