The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Twin tip exhaust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffinstar1216

Probationary Member
Jul 28, 2017
Spring Lake, Michigan
Howdy all
Recently, while going through an automated car wash ( wash all the Michigan salt off the underside) my exhaust system was torn off the car. Tset pipe was ripped in half, all bends in the pipe were dented. Only thing worth saving is the muffler. After filing an incident report with the business, and contacting their corporate office, it seems like they're going to pay for the replacement. Since it was the old school Apex N1, it's not easily available. However, extreme psi said they could hook me up.
Once it is delivered, I was wondering how hard it would be to salvage the muffler from my old broken exhaust and turn the new N1 into all twin tip.
If this is not at all do able, please inform me. If there's a specific way of constructing an H pipe and all the necessary hangers and such, I'm all ears. I love the look of twin tips and can easily modify the rear bumper to fit the second muffler. Thank you all in advance.

So you mean more like making it a dual exhaust? If the muffler is t damaged any exhaust shop should be able to do the work to weld on the extra pipe needed.

When you say twin tip you mean dead weight double mufflers and tips? If so, there isn't really an easy way to route around the spare tire well.

Confused like everyone else ... do you mean a twin tip muffler (like stock) or a dual exhaust. I think you mean dual exhaust by using the muffler you saved from other system.

Not really an easy way to do that, but I'm sure a performance shop would gladly take your money to make it happen. You're probably best to just take the new exhaust the company hooks you up with and be happy.

What I'm wondering is how that happened to your muffler. Automated I'm assuming is touchless?
Automated meaning touchess yes. Got all the way through the wash and just as the machine was going back to its "home" position, I heard a loud thud and my jerked forward. Pulled out of the machine to the nearest gas pump to look at the damage. Had to go back and pull my exhaust out of the car wash.
Twin tip meaning duel exit exhaust yes. I don't want to hack up the new system just yet but if the day ever comes I'd love to be able to fool around with the welder and maybe throw it together.

Sorry for the confusion all. I do mean a dual exhaust. I couldn't quite think of the name of it and chose twin tip off the tip of my head.
Thank you all for understand what I mean though! Nice to be around like minded individuals

If you cut out the spare tire well you can certainly do it. Not sure otherwise but maybe, I don't have a spare tire well to look myself but I'm sure you can and judge for yourself. However you also have to deal with customizing the bottom passenger corner of the rear bumper cover. It's not really going to look pretty without some very custom work there by a talented fabricator, which translates to money.

If you cut out the spare tire well you can certainly do it. Not sure otherwise but maybe, I don't have a spare tire well to look myself but I'm sure you can and judge for yourself. However you also have to deal with customizing the bottom passenger corner of the rear bumper cover. It's not really going to look pretty without some very custom work there by a talented fabricator, which translates to money.

Yup, and again, like I said though, DSM's only have one exhaust manifold, so just suggesting a dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder screams Rice A Roni, the Hondafrisco treat..

I really think that he's talkiing about this the old n1 muffler

Attachments

• Painted1.jpg
    Painted1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 74
You should just take the car to a muffler shop and have them make/install a mandrel bent pip of your preferred size and use your muffler that's still in good shape. Sorry, but it sound's like your exhaust is so old and $hitty with worthless hangers and clamps I'm guessing, allowing a pieced together exhaust to hang down way too low. A muffler shop can make you a perfect cat back system custom fit so it's tucked all the way up into it's intended place all the way back secured correctly by hangers and welded, not clamped. If your car is lowered, which I'm sure it is since this happened, you should be even more interested in getting it installed right.

Because I work at a shop and deal with this kind of thing, I feel for businesses that have to shell out money when a jalopy comes in with parts falling off it and they act like the car was perfect before it was there. Sorry, but thats the way I see it. I urge you to fix your car right. You cannot expect to go through a car wash if you're exhaust is dragging on the ground. How is that their fault? Your car is modified. You're lucky they are even dealing with you honestly. I wouldn't.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back