The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

turned up mbc but still holds 13

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdm9221

Proven Member
Apr 10, 2017
Osceola, Indiana
car is a 97 eclipse gsx got an safc2 yesterday and tuned it to compensate for 19lbs went to hook up the hallman boost controller, got it hooked up and turned it and got nothing. still spikes at 13,i tried hooking it up both ways and no difference. a friend of mine thinks my stock bov wont hold 19 and gave me a new one but it vents to atmosphere and ive heard bad things about doing that. any suggestions help, need the car tommorow

My apologies.

The quicker you blow it up, the quicker you'll realize literally everything you're trying to do is wrong.

Perhaps you should start your time here by creating a profile so we dont have to guess what's done to your DSM: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/welcome-to-dsmtuners-now-go-create-a-dsm-profile.499707/

I'd also recommend you refrain from taking the that sort of tone in your posts. It won't serve you well here.

Such a great post. I almost peed myself.

You don't seem to know enough yet to be turning up the boost at all. You didn't tell us what turbo you are doing it on and don't seem to understand why that would matter.

Smaller compressors typically will produce hotter intake temperatures at higher boost levels and end make less power. If you are trying to turn up the boost that high on a T-25 or a 14b, you are pushing them out of their efficiency range and causing them to blow hot air. If you had a real tuning solution like ECMlink or a standalone unit you COULD do it, but you would REALLY need to know what you are doing, and at the end of the day you would be better off going with another turbo unless you really want to set a T-25 or 14b record.

EVERY TIME you turn up the boost you should consider the fact that your car could already be running fine 85% of the time but breaking up at different points in the power band. This is part of why you log for knock when turning up the boost. If you don't you could be knocking like crazy and not know. Since I haven't gotten around to fixing it, my car runs great about 90% of the time but if I go WOT in 3rd gear it will break up between 5.k-6k when the turbo seems to make the most power. If I do 80% throttle it is "fine" and does not break up, but it is something to think about. A car that feels "fine" could still have a problem if you don't know what to look for. There are a lot of factors that could cause knock honestly, it's hard to say what might cause it for you.

I wouldn't ever run a SAFC personally. You wont make the power you could and it's too much risk with not enough reward. I'm not saying you can't do it, but you more than likely wont do it properly and could damage things.

If you want to make your car faster, do it right. Start by understanding all of the systems in the car, and verifying they are working 100% properly. Then do the research into how to properly modify your car and all of the factors that go into it. You should know how fuel, ignition, timing, intake temps, basic tuning, and the turbo system before messing with it. A couple hours research will do far more for you than listening to someone's advice with out fact checking what they say first. You WILL get a lot of bad advice from people. The most important part of tuning your car is developing critical thinking skills and being able to determine a accurate source of information from the bullshit.

Last edited:
What are you using to log? I recommend using evoscan it's great, easy to use and cheap.

i dont have anything to log right now. just running an safc temporary til i go ecmlink. its a 16g,fixed all my lines. bov is on its own,boost gauge is on the fpr line, and mbc is between the j pipe and wastegate.

You don't need to log anything at this point in my opinion. Opinion is like as*holes, everyone got them. ROFL Haha. Not trying to insult others, it's nice to have but for this problem I think we can skip it. Lets get back on track.

1)We have all the lines hooked up correctly. Good.

2)Boost leak tested to at least 17psi? Does it hold? Does your bov holds it? If not then you need to address this and let us know.:beatentodeath:

3)Did you actually looked at the wastegate gate actuator? Is it even there? Usually you need to do some visible testing first before going deeper. Disconnect the hose and tighten the flapper with mechanical wire. Verify operation and let us know.

4)Part it out......I mean you need a real turbo:dsm:.

LOL not to hate, my car is a DD and I do have a eBay 16g turbo- 2200 miles so far. Has only seen 15 lbs.(it specifically states with this S16g not to exceed 21 psi) which I'm completely fine with. I check shaft play OCD like. Still same as when I installed, also I couldn't find any 14b replacements.

This is no way, is supposed to as an "upgarade" for power. Mine was just a direct replacement for my daily driver.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back