The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo'd look- would it work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperhemi

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2012
White Plains, Maryland
Please nevermind that this isnt a DSM photo but I was browsing for custom intakes and stuff and came across this. My first thought was that this would give the intercooler/turbo'd look for the non turbo guys here and act as a cool air intake if it would work. Then had me scratching my head......"would it actually work?" What do you guys think? Cant say Im up for trying, just thought it was a "different" idea-
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Cant say I disagree......just wondered if this was an old idea or would actually be functional-

Cant say I disagree......just wondered if this was an old idea or would actually be functional-
I mean i guess it could be. The only way to tell for sure would be to measure IAT before throttle body. I doubt there would be a benefit though since the air that comes in through that filter is ambient, vs with forced induction the need for an intercooler is to cool down hot air entering the intake manifold. just my opinion... it serves no function thus is un needed. But for the people that get those turbo whistle things in their exhaist pipe, maybe this idea is for them LOL

Last edited:
Please nevermind that this isnt a DSM photo but I was browsing for custom intakes and stuff and came across this. My first thought was that this would give the intercooler/turbo'd look for the non turbo guys here and act as a cool air intake if it would work. Then had me scratching my head......"would it actually work?" What do you guys think? Cant say Im up for trying, just thought it was a "different" idea-
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
It is thermodynamically impossible for this to add any benefit. It is a cosmetic upgrade only.

Think about it... It's called and air-to-air intercooler for a reason....

Air goes through the fins and cools the air going through the core... If they're both the same air temperature wise, what use would it be? Heat transfers from one medium with higher temp to the other with lower temp always looking for equilibrium of the system. If the air is the same temperature, no transfer would take place.

It is thermodynamically impossible for this to add any benefit. It is a cosmetic upgrade only.

Think about it... It's called and air-to-air intercooler for a reason....

Air goes through the fins and cools the air going through the core... If they're both the same air temperature wise, what use would it be? Heat transfers from one medium with higher temp to the other with lower temp always looking for equilibrium of the system. If the air is the same temperature, no transfer would take place.

I agree, an intercooler can't magically lower the temperature of the charge below ambient. Plus, it would needlessly add resistance to the intake tract; from a performance standpoint, it's completely counterproductive when you consider why we use things like high-flow conical filters and short ram intakes.

I actually remember this being discussed years ago. I think it's a fairly old idea.

I'm with the others, all you would be doing is adding a restriction for the airflow. A turbo forces the air through the intercooler, an N/A just sucks air by the vacuum created by the engine. The reason so many models of cars have intake systems available is to open and smooth out the airflow. This would do the opposite and likely hinder performance.

that thing is super gay, you would get the same air temps as with a normal CAI but have more restriction.
if you want colder intake air, try:
-CryO2
-NOS
-

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back