The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

turbo spools but no pull

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi8503

Probationary Member
Sep 9, 2002
chicago
hey i have a 90 talon tsi with a newer turbo. the problem is that sometimes when i go to hit the turbo, it spools up and whistles but the car doesn't pull. its like the turbo stops pushing air into the intake. But then other times it will pull ike normal. any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Get a boost gauge to make sure you are getting air into the intake manifold.

I had a boost gauge hooked up to a vaccuum line and it seemed to be pushing about 15lbs. Where should i connect it at ?

actually mine does sometihng similar.. some times it just doesnt seem to pull like it normally does. very odd.. but 90% of the time its perfect

My 90 GS-T does the same thing, and I'm almost scared to race because I don't know if it will embarass me.

I think I might have a leak somewhere in the intake. I heard from someone else to check your coil, though I don't know how important that may be for this particular problem.

this happens to me also, sometimes it'll spool up, boost wil read fine, it just won' go.

How do you check your coil? and is that for the 2g's too?

hmm this is interesting.. sometimes i have this problem.. but ive come to the conclusion that its pulling my timing back.. we datalogged the car and when the problem occurs my timing gets pulled back.. but you can hear the turbo spool and the gauge reading normally.. but no pull.. feels like loss of power and hesitation in acceleration..

check phantom knock..

im not saying this is ur problem.. but it mite be..

also does this happen all the time? or just every now and then? also does it help if you dont go on WOT right away.. but instead gradually start giving it gas?

for me it happens very rarely, once was a nice cold night i tried to just rip through third a bit to get on the highway and it had nothing, the other time it was 98 degrees out with humidity so i was probably heatsoaked or something. It has done it a few other times but those times i just let off the gas and punch it again and it goes away.

Also all this started to happen right when i started to get an annoying ticking noise which i'm pretty sure is lifter tick, but it goes away at random

I would check your intake hoses and the thing about your timing seems to make sense. I don't know what your talking about. It has never happened to me. I guess I never felt it. Make sure you have the vacuum gauge "T" into the right place. I can't wait to drive my tsi again.

if anyone figures this one out my car does it alllllllllll the time i feel like im driving a non turbo car - so if anyone figures it out let me know

My car had the same problem. I had just installed my new BOV and it would just stick, the boost gauge read proper psi but no go. So I put some oil on the cylinder in the BOV and it fixed it. I still get that feeling sometimes at part throttle but I think its my timing being pulled. Hope this helps a bit

I did that vfaqleak test and found a leak in thwe bov. I couldn't pressurize the system above 5 1/2 psi because the bov would just leak it out. If i put my hand on the recirculation inlet it would go as high as i wanted it to. So my question is, could this be the problem?

Originally posted by crashed97tsi
I couldn't pressurize the system above 5 1/2 psi because the bov would just leak it out. If i put my hand on the recirculation inlet it would go as high as i wanted it to. So my question is, could this be the problem?

-Yes, the 2G's BOV is made out of plastic, leak easily, get an 1G's, it's cheap and can hold up to 20psi easy.

I have a 90 tsi with the same problem, good boost (14psi) but no power. Pressure test was ok…could it be the throttle position sensor?

Ok i have the same problem, 97 gsx, i've changed my valve seal, spark plugs wires, upic piping, blow off valvue. And i get the same problem all the time, hit the gas, and turbo spools with no go, feels like timing is pulling. Everytime i hit the gas... I have a couple of ideas, though i wanna know if others have tried too. When i bought my UPIC i purchased it from David Brode (thanks for the pipe and advice) i talked to him about this problem. Originaly i thought it was spark plug wires, then i thought it was a leak in my piping. Got it all fixed, so he suggested that it could be the o2 sensor is fried, and is telling the ECU that im running to Rich. Causing fuel cut, and timing being pulled... I know for a fact that my O2 is fried, was when i bought it thougn never caused this problem, i've always just reseted (every week) the ecu, well its been over a month now, and the cel light hasn't come on yet it think o2 is crapped completly. So im wondering, is anyone else out the had a bad 02 and expericed this problem too??? Im sick of spending money and getting no wear fast ( all puns are intended)

MattnGsx

I am still having this same problem and have not been able to find a resolution. After hours of forum searching, I am going to ask for help :sosad:

Car is building boost, but not going anywhere. If said problem is occuring, I can let totally off the gas for a secand the floor it and the car will pull like usual. I have no boost leaks - and this problem has been going on for years, but is slowly getting worse.

Could it be a bad ECU?:confused:

I am still having this same problem and have not been able to find a resolution. After hours of forum searching, I am going to ask for help :sosad:

Car is building boost, but not going anywhere. If said problem is occuring, I can let totally off the gas for a secand the floor it and the car will pull like usual. I have no boost leaks - and this problem has been going on for years, but is slowly getting worse.

Could it be a bad ECU?:confused:

I would start by getting a logger and check if you have PK (phantom knock)
Also you might want to check your base timing new plugs and wires try that and see where it takes you

PS also check for boost leaks

sure this is a 100percent engine thing? what if your clutch disc is starting to fail. sometimes it holds the power and you can be fast but when that disc warms up it has a bit of"slip" to it. ive had this problem when i was younger and drove a 1stgen. totally thought engine and it was a clutch disc that wouldnt hold once it got hot.

After doing my research and checking out all the options - I am 90% sure that my problem is being caused by phantom knock, due to my lifter tick :rocks:

I want to test my theory by disabling / removing the knock sensor - I could not figure out how to do this on my own. Any tricks to fool/disable the knock sensor without throwing the ECU into 'safe mode' or whatever it's called?:thumb: I heard that you can do some kind of ground trick to the sensor:hmm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back