The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Turbo seals bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboTesh

Proven Member
Jun 9, 2016
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Hi all, just finished a full timing job, FMIC install, Emissions delete and Big 16g Install. Car is having issues running right, but I think the O2 sensor the guy gave me with the housing is bad, swapping that soon; not easy once all is installed LOL. Anywho... During my boost leak testing I now noticed that around 10-12 psi I hear a leak around the turbo, and low and behold, I see oil seeping and dripping down my oil return from the turbo... what would cause this, bad turbo seals? I know the turbo has sat in a garage for 8 years, but isn't rusty, and didn't exhibit shaft play. PCV valve/ Kynar valve are functioning fine. Car was cranked multiple times prior to first start for oiling purposes.

Thoughts?

If you are seeing oil leaking from around the oil return it is probably leaking where it bolts to the turbo. The leak around the turbo could be a few things. It could be where the j-pipe bolts up, the turbine housing, or maybe your intercooler. Take some soapy water and spray around until you see bubbles. You might want to give a little more info about "The car not running right" as well.

To clarify, the leak IS the sound of the oil oozing out of the return line to the oil pan. The only way I can think of pressure making its way into the oiling portion of the turbo would be the turbo seals leaking. Which scares me, because that could mean coolant might make it's way into the oil too? Wanted to see if anyone agrees and thinks that's what it could be.

Regardless, I have TurboLabs quoting me the cost of rebuilding the turbo and upgrading from a 16g to 20g compressor while they're in there.

To clarify, the leak IS the sound of the oil oozing out of the return line to the oil pan. The only way I can think of pressure making its way into the oiling portion of the turbo would be the turbo seals leaking. Which scares me, because that could mean coolant might make it's way into the oil too? Wanted to see if anyone agrees and thinks that's what it could be. Regardless, I have TurboLabs quoting me the cost of rebuilding the turbo and upgrading from a 16g to 20g compressor while they're in there.

How is street ability of a 20g? keep in mind it will probably take a second longer to hit boost, I really have grown fond of the quick spool of my factory T25 so much so I find myself not really wanting to run much larger.

Your oil seals shouldn't interfere with oil to water they are ran separately. There is no way for coolant to get inside of the turbo center section AFAIK.

I would really love an HX35 set-up someday.. but 20g is only a slight bit slower to spool than E316g. The T25 is truly too small... once you get in a car with 16g + you will want an upgrade haha.

You might be right I will have to ride in a 16g car sometime. I like quick spool and I don't have much use for a ton of top end. I want mid range power and I will be looking at potentially doing a suspension setup for AutoX that driving is all about quick spool. Leaning AutoX bit more than just drag strip performance, where I live the track is only open for a couple weekends in the summer and while its neat to have a 12second car its just not something I find super practical. I drive my talon year round it saw use this whole hellish winter we just had. The suck part of a 2g for AutoX is the lack of steering angle. I think it would be cool just to wring out the most from the T25, maybe that's what I will do.

Biggest concern for you will be keeping your beauty from rusting out in those harsh winters! Maybe you can find a T28 as an upgrade. It's a bolt-on upgrade if I understand correctly, and can deliver 20psi with t25'esque spool (250-275whp?). Your other challenge may be the not-so-rigid frame the DSM's are built on. Theyre not exactly light , with most of their weight in front; tho you'd be surprised how well a stiffer spring and moderate lowering job can do with the double wishbone suspension and some thicker sways. Just don't go so low as to throw off the suspension geometry.

I'm sure plenty of people on here have tried auto-x. As to what success they've head.... no clue haha. I leave those types of things to the miatas and s2000's of the world ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back