The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G turbo questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon85

Probationary Member
Sep 13, 2002
Kennesaw, Georgia
The seals on my stock turbo with 16g internals appear to be going bad. It was rebuilt recently. What's everyone's opinion on new vs rebuilt and what is your turbo of choice for a street driven, occasional track day car that is pretty stock (walbro pump w/rewire; custom airbox;ported & polished 2g exhaust manifold; maf mods;Greddy electronic boost controller) Who is your preferred vendor or rebuilder? Thanks!

If I was shooting for some extra power on a daily car I would probably go with a 20g w/ a billet wheel or something right at that size. A lot of people like the FP turbos too and it bolts right up. The lag wouldn't be much more than you have now and it'll flow so much better. It's really going to be down to personal preference on power v. lag. A rebuilt turbo can work just fine and often is cheaper than a new one. New is always nice but if the budget doesn't fit I'd take a rebuilt MHI over a new Chinese turbo any day. I haven't gotten a turbo from him before but a lot of guys on here have JusMX141 do their rebuilds. Seems to have an excellent reputation. Preferred vendor is extremepsi. I've had great service from STM as well but extremepsi typically has the best prices. Do you have a way to tune? Keep the turbo pretty much stock if you don't.

If I was shooting for some extra power on a daily car I would probably go with a 20g w/ a billet wheel or something right at that size. A lot of people like the FP turbos too and it bolts right up. The lag wouldn't be much more than you have now and it'll flow so much better. It's really going to be down to personal preference on power v. lag. A rebuilt turbo can work just fine and often is cheaper than a new one. New is always nice but if the budget doesn't fit I'd take a rebuilt MHI over a new Chinese turbo any day. I haven't gotten a turbo from him before but a lot of guys on here have JusMX141 do their rebuilds. Seems to have an excellent reputation. Preferred vendor is extremepsi. I've had great service from STM as well but extremepsi typically has the best prices. Do you have a way to tune? Keep the turbo pretty much stock if you don't.
I have no real way to tune. I could put in a egt guage or I could take it to someone to tune but I have no engine management system.

I have no real way to tune. I could put in a egt guage or I could take it to someone to tune but I have no engine management system.
I'd just get a rebuild on the one you already have then, it should be good for 300 anyways. Put that extra money away for Link. It's a world of difference. You'll run better and make more power.

The seals on my stock turbo with 16g internals appear to be going bad. It was rebuilt recently.
If it was recently-rebuilt, you need to find out what's causing the oil leakage or it's just going to continue to happen over and over until the problem is solved no matter how many times it's rebuilt or replaced. Either there's too much pressure entering the cartridge, or the drain isn't able to do it's job for whatever reason...whether it be a physical obstruction or something you can't see like crankcase ventilation.

Maximum oil pressure for a 16G turbo would be 42-48psi at the inlet. If you're feeding unrestricted from the filter housing it would be roughly double this at wide-open throttle, so a restrictor would be necessary. Start there and see if the problem corrects itself assuming the damage isn't already done and the turbo needs serviced again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back