The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G turbo question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javierg

Probationary Member
Jun 16, 2015
Costa Mesa, California
Hi.
I have a 1997 eclipse gst spyder manual all stock. It began blowing A LOT of smoke out the tail pipe. I bought a nice little rebuild kit on ebay for a garrett t25 turbo for 50 bucks. When i removed the tubo, i noticed it had a lot of shaft play (in and out + up and down) Everything was going well during the rebuild process, I replaced both journals, both small snap rings, both rubber o rings, and seals etc. When I had the CHRA assembled nice tight (spun freely with no shaft play) I decided to put some motor oil through the oil inlet to check for leaks, it began to leak a good amount of oil from the turbine seal and a very very small amount from the compressor side seal.

OK now my question is:
Is this normal? Do the seals on both ends begin to actually seal the CHRA when the turbine wheel starts to spin? Or is this CHRA trash now?

I would like to know this before I install the turbo.

HOW DO THIS TURBOS WORK. PLEASE HELP!!

Sounds like the oil grooves arnt cleaned good enough causing the seal to not seat right/perfect. Or they are just trashed and beyond repair or possible the rebuild kit is not exactly to spec. And no they shouldn't leak at all at anytime bro.

I figured. Any oil leak will harm further exhaust components.
What I do notice is that the CHRA hole where the turbine shaft inserts through, where the piston ring is suppose to seal; is a bit oavaled not perfectly round, it probably got damaged due to the major shaft play it had.... I hate to say this but I guess I need a new CHRA

You know where I can get one cheap?, I'm on a pretty tight budget bro.

I figured. Any oil leak will harm further exhaust components.
What I do notice is that the CHRA hole where the turbine shaft inserts through, where the piston ring is suppose to seal; is a bit oavaled not perfectly round, it probably got damaged due to the major shaft play it had.... I hate to say this but I guess I need a new CHRA

You know where I can get one cheap?, I'm on a pretty tight budget bro.

Honestly stop wasting your time with the T25. By the time and money you waste tracing down a good T25, you could have three 14b's and maybe even a good 16g.

It's not difficult to swap a 14b on and can be done pretty cheap, way less then a install kit cost. Way less headache than dealing with a t25 or trying to source a good Chra in my opinion. Just have to be smart about how you do it.

It's not difficult to swap a 14b on and can be done pretty cheap, way less then a install kit cost. Way less headache than dealing with a t25 or trying to source a good Chra in my opinion. Just have to be smart about how you do it.

I was only informing the OP that the above mentioned turbos are not a "direct swap". I was not factoring in cost of "that" particular kit, just a reference. I also never spoke to the difficulty level of the install, hence why I linked the install directions for the OP to review. I am not making assumptions of the OP's mechanical ability. I am simply offering visuals and supporting information to educate the OP since others neglected to mention the additional parts needed.

I can always appreciate someone who is willing to do work themselves and know when to stop because something doesn't look right. Good job!!

Your turbo is cooked, I find the compressor housing to make a nice desktop pen holder.

You already shelled $50 for a rebuild kit? There is a good looking 14 in the classifieds right now for $170. That's a good deal. Try to return the rebuild kit and take a short term loan to fund the 14.

Again good job thinking to prime the turbo and stop when you saw oil leaking. Most guys would have driven it until it ran out of oil, then drove some more.......

T25 is a good turbo. I've rebuilt many ad had great luck with them. As much as I know, the first one I've rebuilt is still going strong. I got the $25 kits to. need to replace those seals with the ring in it. that will leak if the ring broke. a good upgrade without modding intercooler hoses is the big T28. I've had 2 and were great to. about as good as a big 16g. Without having to change oil feeds and drain connections. 16g is good upgrades though. I've got a big 16g about ready to go on mine. Main thing is, make sure its built right with no leaks and spins freely.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back