The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Turbo options for 2016??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gribble

Proven Member
Dec 7, 2015
Disputanta, Virginia
I need to replace my stock turbo because it started blowing oil into the intake and out the exhaust. I've decided I don't have the facilities to make a major swap so I'm either going to try rebuilding my old turbo, buying another t25 or possibly upgrade to a t28. What are my best options for sourcing a replacement? I've seen some aftermarket turbos on eBay for $350ish but everything I've read says to stay away from those. It seems most of the info out there pertaining to our cars is very dated and many of the companies I've seen recommended are no longer in business.

You should really create a profile so members don't have to ask what you have already done to the car.

Sooooo..........

• What is done to the car?
  • What are your goals?
  • Are you wanting a direct bolt-on turbo (ie t-25 or t-28), or are you looking for something that fits with a little extra cost/labor (ie 14b, 16g series, etc.)?
Some quick advice would be to avoid Ebay for a replacement.

Here is a recent relevant thread:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/extreme-psi-restock.504377/#post-153595497

Here is a quick-n-dirty for the 14b, 16g style turbo install on the 2g:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/forced-performance-install-kit-on-a-14b.489119/#post-153489052

As far as sourcing a T-28, a new one is available from Extreme PSI for a reasonable price:

https://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=30878&cat=426&page=1

If you don't mind a rebuild, PM JusMX141 (a freelancer here):

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/journal-bearing-turbocharger-rebuild-service.489013/

Last edited:
My car is completely stock except a 1g bov. My car is a daily driver and I'm looking for a direct bolt if I choose to buy a new turbo. I've replaced many turbos on diesel trucks before but never attempted to take one apart. While I feel confident that I could rebuild my current turbo with one of the rebuild kits I've seen I'm not sure if this is my best option. In your opinion do you think this is a good idea for me try or should I source a new or professionally rebuilt turbo instead?

Man, between those two options, I would without a doubt, go with the T-28. This little guy is very underrated for its size and capability. It performs fine with no other modifications at stock boost levels. If you get one with a stiffer waste gate actuator, it swaps out directly with the T-25's actuator. You can take this to 20 psi easily when you are ready for it (with appropriate modifications). Check with Just first to see if he has, or can get any rebuilt units (cheapest route). Otherwise, Extreme PSI has the best pricing for new units.

T-28 and you'll probably want to grab a new SS oil feed line and maybe a drain hose kit too. Usually the OEM oil feed line gets damaged upon removal and, if I remember correctly, my OEM drain was a little too short for the T-28 and I had to cut it and add a hose for length.

T-28 and you'll probably want to grab a new SS oil feed line and maybe a drain hose kit too. Usually the OEM oil feed line gets damaged upon removal and, if I remember correctly, my OEM drain was a little too short for the T-28 and I had to cut it and add a hose for length.

I had zero issues using the removing, or reusing OE drain tube w/o modification. However, if the OP removes the drain tube entirely, they will want to replace the gasket at both ends, as well as the two 6mm crush washers on the pan side to prevent leaks.

Gasket (x2) part #: MD198888

6mm crush washers (x2) part #: MF660031

Today I was able to get the turbo removed. I didn't break any lines off thankfully. I found a lot of shaft play both up/down and in/out but the fins haven't started eating into the housing. I'm still torn between trying to rebuild my old turbo with a quality rebuild kit like one from g-pop shop or buying a new T28. Does anyone tried rebuilding a turbo themselves with good results? While I really want to go the T28 route I'm not sure if it's worth $700 to put one on my 250,000 mile engine just to be a daily driver

I've rebuilt a couple 14bs for my freinds and my car, as well as some holsets. So far no failures or issues. A t25 isn't worth the hassle to rebuild really, and the t28 will be more reliable and nice to have if u do another engine in the mean time.

To me it's more about spending $100 for a t25 rebuild kit and being able to drive my car again (if I don't screw up the rebuild) or pinching pennies to spend $700 for the t28 and be done with any future turbo mods. Either way this car is my daily driver for another few years. Hopefully by then I can buy another car for everyday driving and then truly start a full out build on my eclipse. Thanks to everyone for the information as I now have some knoweledgable advice as to what my options are

I'd say look into buying a good condition or already rebuilt used one. If you don't think you can rebuild the turbo correctly, don't do it if it's your daily driver and you can't tinker with it. T28 is nice, but if it's out of your price range and will want to upgrade eventually in the future, I'd say stick with a T25.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back