1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

turbo noise???

Posted by dspreitzer1, Oct 12, 2012

Please Support Ace Race Parts
  1. dspreitzer1

dspreitzer1 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 7, 2012
    Buckeye, Arizona
    i have a 97 gst that i got not too long ago. im new to boosted cars so if i sound dumb, forgive me. when im driving from idle to about 3500 rpms it sounds like the turbo fins are scraping or something weird. an example would be it sounds like radiator fans scraping something but metal not plastic. it didnt sound like this when i first got it. any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. MEz

MEz Proven Member

Joined Nov 9, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Is this your first turbo car?

3. dspreitzer1

Joined Oct 7, 2012
    Buckeye, Arizona
    yeah it is

4. MEz

MEz Proven Member

Joined Nov 9, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
  5. dspreitzer1

Joined Oct 7, 2012
    Buckeye, Arizona
    yeah i thought it was just the turbo spooling at first but it sound like the fins might be rubbing or something? could it be shaft play? it doesnt sound like the video. its only at lower rpms. when i get going the turbo spool sounds normal.

6. MEz

MEz Proven Member

Joined Nov 9, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Turbos scrape on what we call the compressor housing which is made from cast aluminum, thats just what they do. Because turbos are precision cut they are designed to be tight fit for that compressor housing and will rub because of how little clearance there is.
    Unless it was a performance issue where you hear a surging sound after you let your foot off the gas during high boost, I'd say that it would sound normal to me.

7. dspreitzer1

Joined Oct 7, 2012
    Buckeye, Arizona
    alright good to know! thanks for the help!

8. Onizuka186

Onizuka186 Proven Member

Joined Jan 6, 2017
    Collombey, Europe
    Hi everyone, sorry to revive that old thread but i think i have a similar issue.
    Every day when i start the car and drive it till it reach the proper temp it make a whistling noise at about 4500rpm.
    And after it reach the proper temp it goes away and no noise anymore. If i turn off the car for about 10min and start it again it do the same noise again.
    I dont know what could be the problem, can it be the turbo or steeringpump/alternator bearing?

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

16g   manual