The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Tuning help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey medlen

Probationary Member
Dec 22, 2016
North royalton, Ohio
I have searched for a while and got a bit feedback for my problem

I have a 1ga dsm 6 bolt 16g evo3 turbo, fmic ,wally 255 560cc inj full exhaust

Now I'm running v2.5 of ecmlink and dont have the money to upgrade just yet ..but my problem is here I dont have the ability of watching knock but I can watch knock retard. So my car is at 20psi rn 11.1:1 afr and i have pulled upwards of 10 degrees timing and im getting about the same 3.5 degrees of knock retard

What should I do and investigate for this problem I've tried adding fuel ive tried retarding timing and ive decreased boost with the same result .

Ive been beginning to think trying to drop intake temps and switching to water/meth injection and possibly e85 next .

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Do you have a wide band or egt probe? Whats the afr?

Im new to the dsm scene, but ecm link doesnt allow you to monitor knock?

I have searched for a while and got a bit feedback for my problem

I have a 1ga dsm 6 bolt 16g evo3 turbo, fmic ,wally 255 560cc inj full exhaust

Now I'm running v2.5 of ecmlink and dont have the money to upgrade just yet ..but my problem is here I dont have the ability of watching knock but I can watch knock retard. So my car is at 20psi rn 11.1:1 afr and i have pulled upwards of 10 degrees timing and im getting about the same 3.5 degrees of knock retard

What should I do and investigate for this problem I've tried adding fuel ive tried retarding timing and ive decreased boost with the same result .

Ive been beginning to think trying to drop intake temps and switching to water/meth injection and possibly e85 next .

Any info would be greatly appreciated
I wouldn't switch fuels if your having this issue on pump gas with that setup, Do you actually hear the knock when it happens? Could be a bad sensor or interference from something else, you should be able to start your car n start a log tap on the block lightly by the knock sensor with a small hammer and see if it picks that up in the log. And did you pull 10degres before touching fuel or boost by chance? ....11.1:1 Is a decent number at wot what's your timing look like at the end of 3rd or 4th

It will help us out if u fill out the ecmlink tuning help form. It will answer many questions for us. I know your on an older version of link but can u load up a log? Where are u getting knock? What rpm, boost level, gear etc.
Lol I'm new to the forums, didn't even know something like the link help forum existed haha cool, I don't run a knock sensor on mine will link pick it up if you tap on the block idling during a log? Or do you have to pull the sensor n watch it on a dmm?

No worries man. Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of helpful members here.

Question.
How are u picking up knock since u mentioned your not running a knock sensor?

Yes the sensor will register knock if u tap on the block.

When are u getting knock?

No worries man. Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of helpful members here.

Question.
How are u picking up knock since u mentioned your not running a knock sensor?

Yes the sensor will register knock if u tap on the block.

When are u getting knock?

Thanks really just wana buy,sell n trade stuff but gotta make a contribution.

By ear n logs, I got access to a dynojet awd dyno, I've been tuning cars for a while now LOL udrive certified( they make bullydog and sct powerbox if you've ever heard of those ecu tuners) trying to get a job with taylor dynamometer in Milwaukee right now working on cars suck. Also the cars typically tuned pretty conservatively i dont push it to much anymore 500awhp is plenty for the street

Explain this please.

I recommend you run a knock sensor, my cars pretty heavily modded, and I've been around tuning n race motors for over a decade, and I tear it down n rebuild the motor every winter at the shop.

I recommend you run a knock sensor, my cars pretty heavily modded, and I've been around tuning n race motors for over a decade, and I tear it down n rebuild the motor every winter at the shop.

I didn't ask you to be condescending. I asked you to explain specifically why you don't run a knock sensor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back