The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Drag Race Build Trying to get this poor car back on track

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentStateTsi

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Came across Casey Barretts old talon for sale last year and ended up buying it in Michigan. I've seen a few threads on here from previous owners but I will try and keep this one civil. Had a ton of parts laying around that I couldn't sell so I'll see where they get me.

TRE trans, old 37R, DNP manifold, fuel system from Buschurs 1G build a few years ago, 1450's, V3 link, ETS 4" race kit, 16" Hoosiers on 2g 5 spokes, and a bunch of misc stuff.

Unfortunately it has been difficult to get it up to nhra spec for the shootout. Bought a new kirky pro, RCI harness, and window new. Do not buy the jegs kirky knock off as they are not SFI certified. The body is pretty rough and the cage has lots of surface rust. I bought some spray gel from AZ to try on the rust and it has worked well so far. I was worried with that much rust the cage would have been mild steel but I found a few places lettered mil t 6736b so I guess it 4130 chromoly.

Can anyone recommend a good panel adhesive? The door caps are pulling off and the clip retainers are broken. The driver fender cap has a block of wood behind it and secured with wood screws.

Attachments

• IMG_4527.JPG
    IMG_4527.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 90
Took some of my old evo parts off the shelf and test fit to see how they may work. Did a bunch of cutting as well. Barely fit the turbo blanket on with as close as the turbine housing was to the block. No chance at getting an engine diaper in there too. Put my JDL FF manifold on and much more room. My fluidyne half radiator fits pretty well and should cool better than the scirocco style I had. Removing my trunk mounted battery in favor of a JMF pc925 setup. Also picked up a thermostat housing delete. Found some shifter and cable bushings in one of my storage boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_4562.JPG
    IMG_4562.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4561.JPG
    IMG_4561.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4552.JPG
    IMG_4552.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4539.JPG
    IMG_4539.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4556.JPG
    IMG_4556.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 81
What's the purpose behind the thermostat delete? Would you mind throwing me a part number for the half fluidyne you're using? What are your goals for the car?

I've had the radiator for 8 years not sure if DB sells them anymore. It was on my evo and using the delete I needed a fill cap somewhere else in the system. The delete was "blemished" and I couldn't pass on the price.

Goals? Just to run it I guess. Between deployments and constantly moving the last 10 years I have only managed to make one shootout and that was last year. A majority of these parts I've had for a long time and I'm making whatever work that I can. Finally bought a house with some land and a 30x40 detached last year and moved 8 or 9 cars in the process. I'm finally down to this talon and my evo. I was wanting to do more with the evo but with the new rule changes I'm not going to spend the money on putting a cage in it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back