The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Trying to figure out Timing Belt marks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chico904

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hey guys,
(Mods, please move this to whichever forum is appropriate, as I'm not sure which one is) So, I had my timing belt job done a few months ago, and today I got a new timing belt cover to install. When looking at the marks, I noticed that there were two different marks on the exhaust side, and it kind of baffled me as to if that is normal, or something the mechanic did.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The marks are on both sides of each cam sprocket. In a properly timed engine, a straight edge should run right across, depending on how much head milling has been done.. it might not line up 100% on well resurfaced head but should be within a degree or so.

However, the giant spooge of whiteout is sloppy, to say the least.

Paint is just so you can spot the grove fast , 2 groves/marks are normal when timing make sure the dowel pins are on the top and use the 2 inner groves/marks.

Once the two dowel pins are pointing straight up and the engine is at TDC the two marks should be aligned. That is if the distribution has been timed correctly and it did not skip a tooth or more since then. If it wasn't timed correctly you should be able to tell by the way the car is running, at least in a similar to stock setup.

Nope, not normal..

But you can still go by grooves as mentioned above.

If you're trying to do just verify the mechanic did the job properly you'd have to look at the crank mark and if you still have balance shafts, balance sprocket mark too.

And you should be able to take a straight edge, and line up the 4 grooves which should be right at the head's surface when you are in TDC position.

This is what it should look like when looking straight on

And this is how the cam gear slots should line up (you won't need to hold with wrenches, just rotate to TDC)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back