The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Trying to bring my car back from the dead, won't idle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelOfPassion

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 5, 2011
Mesa, Arizona
Hey guys, haven't logged into this site in years so I'm downgrading myself back to noob status because I am having a hard time remembering how to work on my GSX.

So she's been sitting for a long time (2+ years?) with me starting her every couple months just to make sure stuff doesn't dry out. She developed a huge boost leak that I could never find and I didn't have the money to have a mechanic diagnose it. However, I now have my own air compressor and boost leak tester so I found two leaks that I have already fixed. One at the J-pipe from the turbo and one coupling on the FMIC. Got those fixed. Now there is a very small bubbling leak at the throttle body BISS screw which is fairly common I remember on here when I browsed the site. But IIRC she has always had a slight leak from there and would still run and could hold a tune. Right now I can't even get her to stay at idle without dying. I've doused all the piping and vac lines with soapy water and I don't observe any bubbling now except very slightly at the BISS.

So I would normally follow this video to fix my idle issues: https://www.ecmtuning.com/demos/fueltrim.html

But my log (attached) is SO FAR out of whack I don't even know where to start. I tried adjusting deadtimes and the low HZ sliders but nothing even seems to change the idle no matter how drastic I change it. My closed loop doesn't look a thing like it is supposed to. I ended up finding my old laptop with some old logs saved when we tuned her before she developed the boost leak at the J-pipe and copied that over hoping that would help but she still just idles like this. No change.

Could someone who knows a bit more about ECMlink look at the log and at least give me a starting point to get it to look more like the video? Once it is close I think I can get it back to where it should be.

Attachments

• log.2017.06.23-06.elg
    54.9 KB · Views: 32
I only had time to view it briefly, but the first thing that jumped out is your front02 reading. It shouldn't be going to 5v like that. Do you have something else wired into the front o2 pin?

I only had time to view it briefly, but the first thing that jumped out is your front02 reading. It shouldn't be going to 5v like that. Do you have something else wired into the front o2 pin?

Not that I know of. From memory when I set up my wideband we have it set to narrowband simulation but that should be the only changes set up to the ecu for o2.

Did you wire the wideband to the front o2 pin? The front o2 signal in that log looks to be from a wideband.

I saw in your config tab that you have narrowband simulation enabled, but under the ECUinputs tab you have not assigned a wideband to a pin. You have to tell the ECU which pin you wired it to so it knows where to find it, otherwise NB simulation doesn't work.

Did you wire the wideband to the front o2 pin? The front o2 signal in that log looks to be from a wideband.

I saw in your config tab that you have narrowband simulation enabled, but under the ECUinputs tab you have not assigned a wideband to a pin. You have to tell the ECU which pin you wired it to so it knows where to find it, otherwise NB simulation doesn't work.

I did at one point because it used to work just fine. I'm not sure how that would have gotten reset or what could have happened to it.

Nevermind I checked your log again, you have it assigned for the ECU side. Just not the datalogging side. I'll have time to go through it again shortly and see if I see something else.

Looking again I see your deadtime is more than double the ecmlink basic starting point for fic 850s and the ECU is pulling alot of fuel. Try taking your deadtime back to around 330 or so.

Looking again I see your deadtime is more than double the ecmlink basic starting point, and the ECU is pulling alot of fuel. Try taking your deadtime back to around 320 or so.

When I did that the car just died and then wouldn't even start. That was the first thing I tried. I remember when we first tuned the car Gofer made a comment about my deadtime being really high but that my idle looked fine. He helped me tune it in person a few years ago and the idle settings were adjusted by him.

What kind of wideband do you have? The front02 is pegged at 5v so that's either all the way lean or rich. I was thinking 5v was max lean, but your fuel trims are maxed out negative like the ECU thinks it's rich.

What kind of wideband do you have? The front02 is pegged at 5v so that's either all the way lean or rich. I was thinking 5v was max lean, but your fuel trims are maxed out negative like the ECU thinks it's rich.

It's an Innovate MTX-L Wideband w/ narrowband simulation. When the car manages to "idle" like it does in the log right now the Wideband gauge is pegged all the way to the rich side.

That's the same one I have. Have you calibrated it recently? Assuming the wideband is correct, it looks like you need to lower deadtime, maybe just not all the way to 330. The car might've just died when you lowered it since the fuel trims needed to update. Try resetting the fuel trims when you do lower it.

That's the same one I have. Have you calibrated it recently? Assuming the wideband is correct, it looks like you need to lower deadtime, maybe just not all the way to 330. The car might've just died when you lowered it since the fuel trims needed to update. Try resetting the fuel trims when you do lower it.

Pulled out the o2 sensor, calibrated it, reset deadtimes to 500 and 400. Both times I started the car had the same results. No changes at all. Wideband would just go straight to full rich and the car would die if I didn't give it throttle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back